Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,212   Online: 781

View Poll Results: which photographer are you?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • technician

2 5.88%
  • trance

7 20.59%
  • don't care, I just like what I do!

25 73.53%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: !

Sorry Aggie,

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. The last thing I need is some outraged Viking climbing in her Volvo and driving the 50 miles up here to lay waste to my idylic lifestyle.

I'm going back to the darkroom with a bottle of cab and whip up some art.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    How about this:

Farah Fawcett strips nude, covers herself in paint and rolls around on a big canvas, This is boob art.

Michael McBlane
    that would have to be a photoshop job... she ain't got any, has she?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gee now no one will be thinking about my suggestion on nose art.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't get a chance to read through all the replies, I was so taken by the question (excellent one, Aggie) that I just had to reply quickly - I am definitly in a trance/zen state while photographing, but this gut reaction is based on my technical accumulation of knowledge.
    Frank
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    How about this:
    Farah Fawcett strips nude, covers herself in paint and rolls around on a big canvas, This is boob art.
    that would have to be a photoshop job... she ain't got any, has she?
    Oh, how quickly we forget ... THAT poster. Oh yeah ... they are there!

However, painting a nude person and rolling them around a large canvas has been done - many times. I think the most commonly applied name for this type of art is "Bodygram".

There was a female artist - name escapes me - who painted her breasts and pressed them against canvas. I don't know what she called those ... "Boob Art" seems to be a good fit.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAP
    To shoot hundreds of negatives and produce hundreds of prints to produce a few works of questionable art is no different then cave art, petroglyths by primitives. Artists have to be in control.
    Why? What are the dire consequences that occur when the artists is NOT "in control"? - And can that ever happen, or will we merely give up conscious overworking and let ourselves work freely...?

"Petroglyphs by primitives" ... I don't see that as an automatic rejection. Some moving images that "reach" my aesthetic nerves are Cave Paintings. I don't think sophistication (would that be the opposite of primitive?) is invariably a good thing.

What about Grandma Moses work? Not very sophisticated, but I would not eliminate her work as "not art".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    Everything has a technical beginning, It's how far you push the technique and evolve it to a point of absolute comfort that allows you the freedom to create. Is that not what we expect from an artist?
    It is. I agree - fully.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How about this:
    My dog puts nose prints on my windows and this is nose art.
    A kid plasters paint on paper and this is kid art.
    I have to comment here ... I have no doubt that "blansky" is mature enough to consider these comments to be generic, and in no way meant to be demeaning; I am only trying to expess my mindset:

It does not bother me a great deal if someone hangs an undeserved label on a work, calling it "art" when (whoo .. this is difficult - squint a bit when you read this ...) it is obviously NOT art. It is none of my business, nor do I CARE (although it may be of more than average interest) if someone shells out BIG money for obvious crap.

I have a standard answer to the gallery critics who condemns work on the walls ... I've heard it before: "How could anyone hang such a work on the wall - this is NOT art"; and that is, "Oh, look! There is another piece on the wall to the immediate right. If you take one sidestep to the right, you won't be looking at such an `inferior' piece."

It is a great,big world, and, to me, the art in it is infinite. We are not forced (like Malcom McDowell in Clockwork Orange, with his eyelids clamped open) to stare at the work we do not like. We are free to exercise our sidestepping options whenever we want to.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ed:

Without using the usual flippancy that I usually use my feeling are these.

We as photographers are craftsmen. We study, practice and refine until we reach a certain stage or level of expertise. Photography is a craft, as is glass blowing, music, poetry, painting, sculpture, woodworking, jewelry making etc. It takes years to master and we are forever learning.

Ocassionally while doing or practicing our craft we produce something that is art. It is perfect or near perfect. It evokes emotional responses from an audience of one or of many.

However my personal feeling that because we ocassionally achieve this level, does not give us the right the be called artists. As I've said before I think this is all ego and self promotion.

Maybe in a great while a person comes along that everthing they produce is art. Then that person is an artist. Until a person has that kind of batting average then he is still a craftsman working at his craft.

As my previous post stated, anyone producing anything can call it art and themselves artist. The effect of this, then , is that any moron is an artist and the term has now become meaningless.

An please Ed don't assume that I'm mature.

Michael McBlane

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin