Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,825   Online: 792

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nudes

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    Yes, nude photos become boring due to too much exposure, specially in Playboy and the likes.
    What nudes in Playboy? These girls all have five pounds of body make-up on them - and there is *no* way their skin is visible. I don't like them for one reason: they are artificial - as artificial as a Department Store mannekin. Man-made "perfection" (it isn't) cannot even come close to comparing with nature/al - complete with random "irregularites."

[/quote] But there are photographers (both man and woman) that are masters at suggestion - and these are the ones I appreciate.[/quote]

Isn't that our mission in life - to become MASTERS of suggestion - hypnosis? Picasso once said, "The moment you lie for the sake of beauty - you are an artist."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Isn't that our mission in life - to become MASTERS of suggestion - hypnosis? Picasso once said, "The moment you lie for the sake of beauty - you are an artist."
    So does this mean you can lie for some other sake besides beauty? :shock:
    Embrace **it! **it. . .just another name for fertilizer. . . Grow baby Grow!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Isn't that our mission in life - to become MASTERS of suggestion - hypnosis? Picasso once said, "The moment you lie for the sake of beauty - you are an artist."[/quote]

Pretty "heady" sentiment. I would hope that my mission was something more than that...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Ed

Not only makeup - but heavy computer editing nowadays...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan

Pretty "heady" sentiment. I would hope that my mission was something more than that...
    This could eventually migrate to a Monty Python script: "The Meaning of Life, Part II - The APUG Connection"

I really did not mean that to be a statement of exclusion - Not the *only* mission - but one of the "directions we take" in an important part of - at least to me - our lives.

I understand where Picasso was coming from - Art is not an accurate, mechanical, emotionless, 1:1 duplication of the subject (subject in the broadest of terms) but a representaion of our internal image of it. I'm reminded of Magritte's "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" - "This is Not a Pipe". - or as it is known by its formal name - "The Treachery of Images". If you were to show someone this painting and ask, "What is this?", their answer would invariably be, "A Pipe". It is not - it is a PAINTING of a pipe... but we are routinely "suggestified" - hypontized - to seeing A PIPE, and not a painting. In a way, on some level in art, we are - not really LYING - but depending on the "communication of an untruthful assumption."

Possibly another example - the photographs we carry with us on our Driver's Licenses - or other identification: cold, hard, emotionless and unforgivingly truthful images. The really accomplished Portarit Photographer will "shade" the truth - not a whole, flat out lie, but something that will, "hypnotically" alter our perceptions of the subject - for the "sake of beauty".

We can make a truthful image of a bridge - an orthogonal three-view projection - a blueprint - that truthfully describes the bridge dimensionally and we can expand our knowledge of the bridge with details and bills of materials. Truth, but that doesn't connect with our internal perception of the bridge - its "bridgeness" in its environment.

Speaking of bridges, I remember a *wonderful* photgraph by Brassai - a bridge in Paris - in the mists, at night, with illumination from haloed street lamps across its span - a long time exposure. Wonderful "mood" - it hyponitized the hell out of me. I could "feel" the fog, the stillness... hear the water flowing beneath it .... all "untruths" ...

...But essential to us as human beings. I don't think we could possibly exist and function without these day-to-day alterations of our perceptions.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ed,
    I must say that I am impressed with the breadth and depth of your knowledge of things photographic and artistic. Your use of language is equally as daunting.
    I think that, for myself today, I try to keep things on a simpler plane. I follow the eastern precepts of experiencing things directly. Excluding so much as possible those ego driven constraints that do truly alter ones perceptions of reality, to which you alluded.
    I don't think that I share your view that we could not function well without that aspect in place within us. Perhaps we would function better if we got the inflated view of ourselves out of the way.
    Just my view...nuff said.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan
    I think that, for myself today, I try to keep things on a simpler plane. I follow the eastern precepts of experiencing things directly. Excluding so much as possible those ego driven constraints that do truly alter ones perceptions of reality, to which you alluded.
    I don't think that I share your view that we could not function well without that aspect in place within us. Perhaps we would function better if we got the inflated view of ourselves out of the way.
    Just my view...nuff said.
    I don't take it as "just your view" - to do so would be to trivialize what must be an important concept.

Was it William Blake who said something like "Most of us are trying - very hard - to see the world as it really is - and the unfortunate ones among us will succeed - and be terrified."

I by no means advocate complicated intricacy - there is a wonderful advantage in simplicity - and accepting the world, not soley by reason, but by ... I was going to write "faith" - but I think "aesthetics" is more accurate' if also clumsier.

I know what you mean by "not letting our `self' cloud our peception of the world" and WITH the phrase "as much as possible", I'll agree with the concept - but possibly, instead of "as much as possible" we could subtitute "to an inapproprite degree". Involving one's self is not invariably a bad idea - when were become one with our work we will be at our best. That involvement will *prevent* us from making Driver's License portraits.
    At the same time, it is a greater error to overdo - to become so self-conscious that we lose sight of the moment.

I will confess to being a student of Gestalt Psych .. and Jung's "Man and His Symbols" is one of my favored "bathroom books".

Can we survive without "hypnotic" symbols? Possibly, but not as easily as with them. When we look into our rear view mirror, and see flashing red lights, hear a siren, and read the word "AMBULANCE" unreversed - we perceive a powerful symbol-set mandating "GET OUT OF THE WAY - FAST".
    -And that is quickly and efficiently understood - without the need for conscious thought or reasoning. It is a product of our altered perception - we experience much more than flashing colored light, a noisemaker, and a bunch of letters.

Enough. Time to shake hands with Jim Beam, and gripe to my wife about this really miserable weather.

I've heard it is so bad in France that some women are running around, outside, in their unmentionables ... and I'm over here...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We perceive the world through "a glass darkly" Could this be a ground glass?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well...if you stop down....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin