Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,185   Online: 940

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nudes

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK guys, back to serious stuff.

Does anyone remember Zoltan Glass? I think I remember a study of his about 1955 or so. He did b&w nudes which I remember as quite good. It was likely in one of the better photo Mags of that era.

And while I'm at it, can anyone direct me to a source for the image of "Duchamp Decending Staircase" ? The image I remember was made with multiple strobe and much resembled the subject's famous painting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    Does anyone remember Zoltan Glass? I think I remember a study of his about 1955 or so. He did b&w nudes which I remember as quite good. It was likely in one of the better photo Mags of that era.
    I certainly do. Glass's works are some that fascinate me. He was the "Official" photographer for Mercedes, when forced to flee to England due to the Nazi anti-Semitism, prior to the Second World War.

What I remember most were his "Statue" photographs, done after the war, where he photographed nude models in English formal gardens, on columns, in poses duplicating those of classic Grreek and Roman statues. I don't know his procedure for rendering skin tones to be *very* close to marble (talcum powder?) but he was very successful. That was wonderful work.

A few months ago, I searched the web, everywhere I could think of, and only could find examples of his "Mercedes" photography.

If anyone could find examples of his nudes, I would be very grateful for the web site addresses.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Me To? I saw a magazine article a couple years ago wish I could remember where. I do remember it was outstanding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    A discovery - and a problem.

While I was searching through my filing cabinets for the issue of Camera and Darkroom with the article by Stillman Clarke that contained advice that I wished I had learned early in life .. for "Lolliop78" (? -did I get that right?), I stumbled upon a forgotten issue of Popular Photograhy - June 1951. In it there are three images of Zoltan Glass's figure studies.
    I have been searching the $^*%**!! web on this infernal machine for YEARS now, and all I've been able to find are images from Glass's "Speed and Spirit", cars - Mercededs, and aircraft. All that key pounding - and there were three of his figure studies right here in one of my own filing cabinets.

The problem is ... "What now?"

I will scan these... the magazine is in desperately poor physical shape, and I am going to preserve these as effectively as I can.

I *would* like to share them with those interested here on APUG ... but... I am going to abide by the Moderator's decisions regarding "copyright" status. I personally think it would be permissable to post the images here ... for "educational purposes", which are exempt; and in consideraton of the fact that copyright protection at the time these were published had a finite time limit of twenty-seven (27) years (I know it was eventually extended to double that, and then "the lifetime of the copyright holder", and then to "lifetime plus 50 years" ... where it is now, I'm not really sure) so for all intents and purposes - see "ex post facto" we sould be in the clear. Of course. there is *NO * monetrary transaction anywhere here ... not even to join or belong to, APUG.

With all that said, I'll wait until I hear.

Note that the scanned images CAN be printed ... so some sorrt of off-site snail mailing may be possible ...

Zoltan Glass was one of the "Great Lights" in my book ... and I think these images reflect some of that brilliance.

From the article, entitled "Studies in Stone":

"Zoltan Glass turns flesh into stone through the magic of his camera. The unusual pictures shown here are the work of this accomplished British photographer who uses poses and lighting to make human models look like carved marble. At first glance it is hard to tell which is statue and which is live, so cleverly has Glass blended both to create a new type of figure sudy. ..."

This guy was GOOD!!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Check out this link - How To Photograph Beauty by Zoltan Glass.
    http://www.goneglobal35.com/pinupsmisc.html

The book is listed most of the way down the page. Also search by author on www.alibris.com
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed:
    I would like to see the Glass images just to take me back to a time when things were new and fresh for me. I agree that he was a true artist and far from the pin-up makers prevailent in that era. Everyone of us should do so well.
    I think the article I remember, described some of his techniques and had some images of him working with his equipment. dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ed, let me talk it over with Sean and I will let you know asap. Personally I dont see a problem, most cases of copyright infrigement usually are based on bad faith, ie the purposeful misuse of an image. If you post the images and clearly identify them as pictures belonging to Glass as printed in PF I suppose it would be ok, but then I am not a lawyer. Give me a couple of days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ed, if you want to scan and`post the pics is allright as long as you include full copyright info on the post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Ed, if you want to scan and`post the pics is allright as long as you include full copyright info on the post.
    The images have been uploaded in "Non-Gallery Pictures". The only copyright information was "All Rights Reserved". I've credited Popular Photography --- best I could do.

The scans lose a LOT in transmission.

Glass was one of the few photographers I'd describe as "wonderful".

He had a sensitivty that was remarkable for a time when - let's face it - the greatest majority of photography magazines existed either for, or by necessity, as the only place where one could buy pictures of naked women.

Glass was *definitely* above that - a true artist in a sea of repressed primal urges.

I've tried to include the captions.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin