Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,593   Online: 1155

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nudes

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Ed, I think it was American photo that did a pictorial 5-6 years ago That was the first time I'd ever seen this work. It's exceptional, Now I'm courious to see more. Thanks for being so organised!
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ed, this is the first time I've heard of Glass. I think I'll do a little more exploring.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Ed. That created a very different emotion than I was expecting. You see, at the time of Glass’ publication, I was dating a beautiful home-town girl named Helen. The first time I saw those images, I first thought she had been the model (BION) and I was in love for sure.

After college, Helen and I went our separate ways. She went on to marry a military officer (from a “different” Academy) and I married yet a different home-town girl and we both lived happily ever….

Almost - Helen died a year ago.

Thanks again Ed.

Truly, dr bob

PBS is airing Dvorak’s “New World”, second movement. I think I’ll have a beer, go to bed, and weep a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "PBS is airing Dvorak’s “New World”, "

Funny you should mention that. While I was watching Shahan play his Strad, I was reminded of how modern science has no explanation for that instrument's unique sound. It occured to me wonder what other unique things will forever remain undiscovered due to the increasing reliance on computer design, which can, afterall, only rely on quantifiable variables that are programable ( ...kinda off topic, but not really).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been so frantic for the past few weeks that, until this morning, I haven't had a chance to keep up properly with what's been going on at APUG. This is a fascinating thread, and I thought I might as well chuck in a few words about it, for what it's worth!

Generally speaking, I find the majority of nude photography bland, uninteresting and contrived. For some reason it just fails to move me in the same way as a landscape, portrait or documentary image can.

I've lost count of the number of photographers I've heard say that they shoot nudes, but in an 'artistic' style. Photographers who make this statement often seem to think that shoe-horning their models into poses worthy of a contortionist, or closing in on details of the human form automatically elevates their photography to 'art'. I have to disagree. While many good nudes also take this approach, it doesn't automatically guarantee a successful image, by any means! Sometimes I think I'd rather be offended by a nude photograph than bored by it, but that probably goes for any subject, not just nudes.

I could ramble on, but I'm not sure I'd be adding anything new to the debate. However, I'd just like to add myself to the list of admirers of Thomas's work. While not every one of his nude images is to my taste, all of them are immaculately executed, and best of all, a significant number have a lovely humour to them which I really enjoy. The Tip Toe Torso image currently in the Gallery is a perfect example of this.

Oh, and as a postscript, I have to pick up on a comment made by Eric earlier in this thread. He said something along the lines of North Americans being less sophisticated than Europeans. Just to clarify - he possibly meant to say that North Americans are less sophisticated than MAINLAND Europeans. Here in the UK, nudity is sniggered at as if it's something that belongs only on a naughty seaside postcard, or a Carry On film!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin