Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,688   Online: 728

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm not familiar with your writing, Michael.

For string quartets, I would certainly agree on Bartok, and would also mention Janacek. Moving the into the post WWII period, the key figures for me are Elliott Carter and Brian Ferneyhough.

In piano, apart from Messiaen, there are Shostakovich (24 Preludes and Fugues), Stockhausen (Klavierstucke), Boulez, Barraque's Sonata, and - a recent discovery for me - Bill Hopkin's Etudes en Serie.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley
    For string quartets, I would certainly agree on Bartok,..
    Bartok? Bela Bartok by a string quartet?

I'm familiar with some of his work ... like olives, his "dissonance" is an acquired taste. A lot of it incorporates piano work ... but I've never heard it by a string quartet. Any specific pieces?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Well, David, how nice to find someone out there has the same taste in music that I do. Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues, when played by Shostakovich himself, is the most beautiful piano music I know.

I never did really like Elliot Carter's music (too academic) and I do not know Ferneyhough at all.

For the first time in a long while I played Bill Hopkins (wonderful!) and now the Barraque sonata is on. Discovering Stockhausen's piano music a few years ago was a delightful surprise. I was ready for the axing of the pianos and it is anything but that.

Best of all is Morton Feldman's piano music. He was a close friend of and was heavily influenced by the abstract expressionist painters.

And there are so many others.

Ed: Bartok wrote six well-known string quartets, #1-#6. At first it takes repeated listening to get it, but after a while the music is as easy to listen to as the music of Mozart. If you are not used to it, you may have to perservere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin