Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,744   Online: 1010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was chatting with Eric R the other day a couple comments he made got me going on a mental tangent.

Photography (or any visual art) is chiefly about mastering space and tone (add color if you're one of those silly people that *likes* shooting chromes )

Music is about mastering timing (space between notes or beats) and tone.

I'm not going to bother repeating the many other parrallels as I'm sure most of you have heard them many times before.

What I'm curious about is how many of you and how many photographers you know are musically inclined?

How mentally related do you think musical and visual composition is?
    I've often heard the old thing "oh, they're creative... they can do anything" but I've started to wonder what the actual mental predespotion is? Are painters more likely to sing? Are sculpters more likely to compose? Are photographers more likely to play in punk rock or country bands depending on whether they are from London or Texas?

Look forward to your replies
    Ian

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well, there is a definite connection between photography and music. I cannot explain it except to say it may be a right brain/left brain type of thing. I know several photographers that are or were playing music. As to photographers here playing in country bands in Texas that may just be situational.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PS I'm kinda kidding about the texas photographers and country bands thing.. a slight inside joke.

I used to live in Texas and despite playing some rocker stuff in my youngers days (big amps, wailing guitars) I now play a lot more Man in Black than Black Flag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not a practicing musician although I played the trumpet and some bass guitar some years ago. I do have a pretty good appreciation of music and very eclectic taste, everything from Classical to Celtic, Punk to Country western (the real stuff pre 1980s) country swing, big band and lots of jazz. I have even been enjoying listening to late 70s early 80s disco due to my wife's sudden nostalgia for that music, even though I wouldn"t be caught dead listening to it in high school. Much rather listen to the Clash, Agent Orange, Jerry Jeff Walker or Asleep at the Wheel.

My interest in Jazz came about around the same time I began to really become interested in photography and has grown over the years with my growth in photography.
    I have always equated photography and the process more to jazz than classical music.

Music influences my photographic process, from concept to titles. I was never much of a musician, tho', but I did enjoy bashing away with a loud guitar.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I majored in music. Adam's Zone system made immediate sense to me - I've always believed because his zones correlate to the intervals of the scale (and the chords built on those intervals).
    juan

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jerry Jeff Walker...

We may be getting older quicker than we think. Jerry Jeff Walker has a kid out on the music trail. His name is Django Walker. (from Django Rienhart?) Follows in Pop's footsteps pretty well. It also helps if your dad owns a record lable.

As I have stated in this forum before, "There is only two kinds of music. Country and Western. I got to hear a bunch of Western music this last Saturday. I went to Red Stegall's Cowboy Poetry and Western Swing Festival. It is held in Fort Worth in the Cowtown area on the north side of town. They had a Chuckwagon cook off with maybe 20 wagons and cowboy poetry and music and a trade show and ranch rodeo. These differ slightly from a regular rodeo in that they focus on real ranch activities like branding and herding and the like. Then there was a dance after all the other events were done. A good time was had by all.

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to sing in the local opera chorus, but gave it up due to demands of my work. Also, my wife and I met in a student's orchestra, where she played trumpet and I alternated between tuba and piccolo (!).

I agree with lee\c that there are only two kinds of music, but in my opinion Country and Western is not among the two
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lee - Wow Red Steagall. I saw him perform at the walls in Huntsville. I was a visitor, not a resident, there... 8)

Music and photography do go together. Ol' EW said that whenever he saw a Bach Fugue in his photographs, he knew he had a good one.

I will listen to most anything, but in the darkroom, it's usually jazz.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

I play the piano. In fact when I played a lot, when I heard something, I could just sit down and play it.

It's called playing by ear, and it saves wear and tear on the fingers.

Michael McBlane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin