Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,362   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My old friend Joel brought me back into photography some 25 years ago, loaned me his A-1, we bought T90's together, went out shooting together. After a while I switched to EOS for the autofocus, he went for the IXUS. I got a 5D, he got an S2-IS. Recently he's been complaining about the S2's lack of responsiveness, and what DSLR should he be looking at. While I directed his attention to the Rebel XS, I handed him an EOS 1 and a ten-pack of Ilford HP5 24exp. As I am just now getting into developing my own film, I was able to offer him free B&W processing. He's delighted with the camera, and I think he's getting excited about this 'film thing'.
    Last edited by flatulent1; 11-30-2008 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: hit the wrong button
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose that it depends somewhat on how you define "promote". I was in a very small (one traffic light,) Indiana farm town yesterday with my 8x10. In half a dozen conversations with local folks, each and every one of them from grandpa to teenagers, recognized the 8x10 B&J monorail as a film camera.

And there were none of your typical "do they still make film for those things" stupid questions. One lady asked how big of enlargements I make. Another wanted advice on backgrounds for her daughter's senior portraits.

One heck of a relaxing afternoon.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I promote it to people that I think it suits (ie. people who wouldn't be spending the price of a digital body in film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever I take my Rolleicord out it prompts people to come talk to me about it. I think it makes the rest of my buddies from my local Flickr group jealous when we go out shooting together

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just the other day, when I asked a friend to measure the light for me with his little digital camera. However, we were unable to find anything else than fifteen different program modes. I decided to shoot anyway, at ISO 400, f4, 0.15 seconds on my FED3. (Swedish winters are dark.) Anyway, we agreed that a digital point and shoot is not really useful for taking snapshots of people.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Every time I open the doors to my lab 7am-8pm monday to saturday hahahaha. dont worry chris your not alone.

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At the present time I am too wrapped up in promoting the handmade printing processes (primarily carbon printing, but also others) to worry too much about how one arrives at the negative that they will use for the process.

While the negative does have a direct effect on the final result, people do not usually look at film. But people take notice when I hand them a platinum print, and even more so when I hand them a carbon print with a bit of raised relief and tell them I made it out of Knox Unflavored gelatin and sugar from the supermarket (and a bit of lampblack watercolor).

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen: Wow, how do you find time to eat and sleep, let alone get out and shoot? :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Stephen...I have the fun of promoting film everyday at work. There is nothing quite like the evil little joy I get when someone brings in a file to print--they will point to something on the wall and say, "I want it to be that big." I open the file, see that it is probably maxed out at a 5"x7" or whatever. They ask how to get a BIG print like the ones on the wall and I get to say, "You have to shoot film..."
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Stephen: Wow, how do you find time to eat and sleep, let alone get out and shoot? :-)
    Until last month I used to work Sundays too. The secret is I love what I do.

~Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin