Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,066   Online: 928

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think this economic downturn is going to be terrible for photography. And for art, and for pretty much anything not related to immediate survival.

Good deals will be had on used gear at places like KEH- it's the pawn-shop effect, with people looking to turn anything into cash. But the profit margins of just about any business are going to be razor thin for a year or more.

Sorry to say it, but my outlook isn't rosy at all But people may learn how to do better with what they have; that is perhaps the silver lining. I think a lot of people are about to discover how much useless material fills their lives. That could be a good thing, I suppose.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by marsbars View Post
    That is enough for me to keep spending my few extra dollars on a few more rolls of film.
    I suppose that one day I may have to switch but that day hopefully will be a long time coming. Hopefully never.
    If you amortize it out, camera, media, computer, software, upgrades, you will find that you are likely saving money, plus it's parsed in bite sized pieces. The biggest fallacy going on by far is that D is cheap. Easy maybe, but not cheap at all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have a good few years worth of developer stashed away. Film is cheap in real terms and I have all the cameras I am likely to need. I have no plans to go digital as it is for me a completely different medium and so I will continue to use film happily.
    Digital sales are based on the upward "more is better" spiral and if the depression that is affecting us globaly continues then sales of new models will inevitably slow to a crawl. It doesn't matter how good the latest model is if it is out of reach economically, whilst a roll of film is still only a few pounds/dollars/euros and can be bought on an as needed basis. It makes economic sense to me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I think this economic downturn is going to be terrible for photography. And for art, and for pretty much anything not related to immediate survival.

Good deals will be had on used gear at places like KEH- it's the pawn-shop effect, with people looking to turn anything into cash. But the profit margins of just about any business are going to be razor thin for a year or more.

Sorry to say it, but my outlook isn't rosy at all But people may learn how to do better with what they have; that is perhaps the silver lining. I think a lot of people are about to discover how much useless material fills their lives. That could be a good thing, I suppose.
    The flip side is that if it turns into a real struggle around us that struggle will provide lots to photograph. The worse the struggle gets the more our artful portrayals will mean in ten years.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hopefully this economy will weed out some the people who call themselves photographers who have been able to fool people simply because they have spent a lot of money on expensive crap. A bad economy is very bad for people without real skills, but gives the truly talented a chance to excel.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i second nosutos comments re arax must get more czj lens ie sonnar 180 and may be a 50 mm my local camera store dread my shop visits because i insist they get the film i want, if they don't there's plenty of places who want the printing work and the two go hand in hand from my point of view.

Besides there are plenty of competitions to enter and that a good form of promotion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david_mizen View Post
    i second nosutos comments re arax must get more czj lens ie sonnar 180 and may be a 50 mm my local camera store dread my shop visits because i insist they get the film i want, if they don't there's plenty of places who want the printing work and the two go hand in hand from my point of view.

Besides there are plenty of competitions to enter and that a good form of promotion.
    huh?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    huh?

sorry 2F/2f, that was hilarious!
    Last edited by nsouto; 12-29-2008 at 05:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david_mizen View Post

Yikes mate! Come up for air!

The sonnar 180 and the 50 flekie are guilty of making me use more 120 film this year than I ever used before! Next year I'm using them less, in favour of the 6X7 gear. But they won't be forgotten, that's for sure.

Yeah, I'm using the "no film, no prints" argument nowadays. If they want my custom on prints, they better cater for my other quaintness. Otherwise, nothing done.
    Surprisingly, it's starting to work!
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsouto View Post
    Yeah, I'm using the "no film, no prints" argument nowadays. If they want my custom on prints, they better cater for my other quaintness. Otherwise, nothing done.
    Surprisingly, it's starting to work!
    Right on!

I'm trying to do that on my work too.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin