Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,106   Online: 996

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Why Film Makes Business Sense"

Does it?

For my business, I'm 100% digital. Couldn't make near the profit I do with film. Requires a long explanation that I won't do here. Could go on about why digital is better for me but I don't want to upset the apple cart here.

Just a couple of examples, when I was film capture only, the films costs, developing, getting "proofs" and/or scanning were around $250.00 per gig.

Not included in this amount was the time I had to spend or hire out to get film picked up at my studio, taken to a lab, deliver the proofs & negs back to me & get them to my clients for review and orders. I was too busy to run around to have this done so how much do you think it cost me?

Today, I can transmit an order to my lab right from here at my desk with my little MacBook and if I have the order in by 11 AM it's at my door the next day.

I can go on and on but all I would do is P.O. some of you. I shall quit.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post

Does it?
    Part of the OP's prefered output is a Silver Gelatin print.

So yes.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm

Does it?

For my business, I'm 100% digital. Couldn't make near the profit I do with film. Requires a long explanation that I won't do here. Could go on about why digital is better for me but I don't want to upset the apple cart here.

Just a couple of examples, when I was film capture only, the films costs, developing, getting "proofs" and/or scanning were around $250.00 per gig.

Not included in this amount was the time I had to spend or hire out to get film picked up at my studio, taken to a lab, deliver the proofs & negs back to me & get them to my clients for review and orders. I was too busy to run around to have this done so how much do you think it cost me?

Today, I can transmit an order to my lab right from here at my desk with my little MacBook and if I have the order in by 11 AM it's at my door the next day.

Most of us are well aware of the digital workflow. Please do not belabor it anymore on APUG.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Does it?

Thanks. You're making an opportunity cost argument here. Funny but many working pros I know--especially with your type of business where margins and competition are tight--regret the sheer amount of time they spend in post-production relative to their days with an all-film workflow--only a few can afford a dedicated technician they trust with their PS work.
    Last edited by CGW; 01-02-2011 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Thanks. You're making an opportunity cost argument here. Funny but many working pros I know--especially with your type of business where margins and competition are tight--regret the sheer amount of time they spend in post-production relative to their days with an all-film workflow--only a few can afford a dedicated technician they trust with their PS work.
    Lots of contrived arguments, falsehoods, and plain wrong ideas tailored to fit the premise "Film Makes Business Sense". Lots of bluster, religion, and manipulative comments.

Generally, and for most photographic applications, one will make a heck of a lot more profit margin shooting digital over film. And more then often with high quality too. Often artists shoot digital and print on silver halide paper and the results are immaculate.

I shoot film 99% of the time, and prefer film, but I'm not going to join other enthusiasts in jabbing the other media just to somehow bolster my love for film. People that do that are showing their insecurity, subjectivity, and are putting the primary directive: THE PICTURE secondary over the medium, and that is truly sad.

The first casualty of war (F vs D) is truth, and that goes for both types of fanatics.

Long live Film! More importantly, Long Live Pictures!!

Fuji 100 ISO B&W Film, 35mm, Canon EOS 1v SLR, Canon 35mm F1.4 prime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xmas 2010 029.jpg  
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since some persons are wretchedly bent on making this a D vs F despite a completely different intention by the OP, and a clear warning, well, here you go, thread closed. If you aren't clear on the APUG charter, please read it. We discuss analog here. Not analog vs digital, or the differences, or the advantages of one over the other. Analog. Period. If you can't figure that out please find another forum.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-03-2011 at 01:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin