Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1073

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good points Ed.

When I say art world, I am speaking not of everyone in it, but the CHH types who run the galleries and award the prizes. The ones who do have a huge influence on what is seen by many people when they walk into a gallery of museum. As well as the people doing the educating.

Now, you did say,
    One thing sort of troubles me ... there is an assumption that, if someone does not USE the principles of composition, or the "skills" of printing, that it necessarily follows that they do not KNOW what they are. Possibly they don't, but this is one enormous leap to a conclusion.
    , and I don't really agree with that.

See, I am a bit of a pessimist. And if you present me with 27 works all salvaged from the dump which all show no signs of composition or skill and simply come with 27 page long statements, I am going to make the conclusion that you don't know much about composition and such.

Look at Picasso. He broke the rules. Big time. But before he did he learned to paint. And he could paint all sorts of things. He learned and then he went out and did his own thing. Great! The problem now is that people aren't learning much except how to write a BS statement, and people who DO want to learn the skills and the artistry have fewer and fewer places to go. When we ONLY accept art that "breaks the rule" we end up saying "The rules are that only THIS is acceptable!" The irony is that today people who want to break the rules have to go out and learn things like composition and darkroom work, etc! Seriously, I think if Picasso was a young artist today, he'd replicate what is big now, and then go out and paint something with the grace and subtlety of the Sistine Chapel just because things like that are considered "phallocentric propaganda" (actual quote)!

The point is we have no freedom now it seems. We must conform to the standards set by the non-conformists of yesteryear.

And I like fondue too. But recently I have seen too much of it at openings. Including "soy fondue"....

Whatever happened to having some cold cuts and shrimp?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Boy, wouldn't it be sad if the glass was installed the wrong way?
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    does the so-called illusionist david blaine have anything to do with this? ... " american illusionist david blaine is now walking out of a bathroom he locked himself in for the past 30 days "

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Then again, why not?

I can't help but wonder what *MY* emotional response would be ....

Hmm... "Art follows function"? Or is the other way around ...?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Great place to read the paper!
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thought I'd throw in my opinion too, since everyone else is doing it... :P LOL

I agree with the idea of 'to each his own', and I try not to let myself get irritated with the 'artiste's', but I also agree that trying to buck the norm can and hopefully will make a difference, if enough people do it. Oh, and those articles? Agh! Here's another, with some good discussion:

We Workers Do Not Understand Modern Art

I also thought it was interesting that I was just talking to a new photography-related e-mail acquiantance (does that make sense?) about this very thing. So rather than tire my poor little artist hands, I'll just cut and paste. Got a fondue party to attend, you see...

"I've thought long and hard, many many times, about what my 'artistic goal' is. My intent, above all else, is to create emotions on paper that all people can relate to. None of that holier-than-thou only the artist elite get it crap. The number of hacks in circulation in the art 'community' - UGH!! It's sickening what some people will go crazy over... blood and vomit on the sidewalk turns into an 'installation' piece in some museum that must be run by, what, idiots?? Ooops, got sidetracked, didn't I? Anyhow, the whole idea for me is to make art that anyone can relate to, respond to, feel. I have a lot of melancholy memory sort-of feelings... a smell brings me back to an indistinct moment when I was five or so, a texture reminds me of something intangible but so familiar... I can't quite put my finger on it. Those are the sort of feelings I want to stir up in people. Those indescribable feelings/emotions that are stirred up every now and again that remind you of something, not a time or place or person or object but a feeling you once felt long ago but haven't felt since. Am I nuts?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurore
    Those indescribable feelings/emotions that are stirred up every now and again that remind you of something, not a time or place or person or object but a feeling you once felt long ago but haven't felt since. Am I nuts?"
    Where is that quote from Rumi?

"Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absentminded.
    Someone sober will worry about events going badly.
    Let the lover be."

I think there is a *very* good "fit" if we substitute "Photographer" (or "Artist") in the place of "lover."

Come to think of it ... Is there much of a difference ...?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This has been a rather enjoyable thread to read. I have had some experiences with art education that I found quite humorous. It seemed that in college, the art that was most well recieved by the professors were the projects that I whipped up the night before it was due. So I guess haste makes art is the moral of that

The second thing that stands out about a painting class that I took was how I was painting squiggles on a blank canvas while I was trying to think of something to do, sort of doodeling, when the professor saw it, he started raving about it, and asked me to do a series of them for the spring art show, so i went home knocked out 3 more multi-colored doodles and turned them in a couple of weeks later. I thought it was great, little work, big reward (A in class), but now I just find it funny/sad.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin