Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,322   Online: 787

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well today I had an interesting experience. In class I stated that we can never discount the effect that the marketplace has on art. The fact is that to be seen and talked about, work has to be put in galleries and sold, and desired. Art that never sees the light of day does NOT make it into the text books or the general community.

A couple of people decried this. Including one VERY agitated student who sort of freaks me out (he just has this "I could have done Columbine" vibe).

The arguement was "Art is art! And Van Gogh never sold anything!"

Well, Van Gogh never sold anything while he was ALIVE. He became a HUGE influence when his work SOLD and was NOTICED. Nobody would have given a rat's ass if Theo had burned everything after Vincent died. I mean how can someone use THAT as an example when a Van Gogh sells for hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars now?

But no! Art was PURE! It was a sweet virgin never touched by the wicked hand of Commerce!

Please.......

The fact is, art that sells is the art that is seen. And this influences things.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You know, Robert, I think you are right. But I have another observation to broach: Every "famous" artist/performer/author et c, I can think of has "made it" with the direct aid of some influential party. So help me, I can not think of any well known person (ignoring the obvious criminal or other outrageous persons like Hugh Hefner) who has "made it" quite on there own volition. Maybe Stieglitz, but even he was originally financially aided by his first wife's wealth. I am referring to "artistic" enterprises, not to the Bill Gates crowd.

True confessions: When I began my music avocation, I personally knew the organist and choral director at the Naval Academy. Without their initial help ... well, I wouldn’t have had the success I have enjoyed over the years in this local area. In the art world, although I have won several prizes in various shows around the area, I still an considered an "outsider" by the members of the organizations to which I belong - ostensibly because I came in on my own knowing none of the influential members. I still feel like an outsider after five years.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good point. I find it amaizng that people think there is some fort of vaccum that art exists in.

The fact is, if you know the right people, you can get ANYTHING into a gallery.
    ----------------------

Okay, Robert, the art world is basically a mess. And most of the things you say are true. But are you just going to go on being bitter about it, or are you going to do something about it? And what are you going to do? This is not a flip question, but one you might want to give some serious thought to. Your future as an artist depends on your answer. And then, on how you live your answer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like you've come to grips with one of the basic realities of the world Robert. That reality applies to all fields of endevour, not just the art field. Its always been that way and always will be. Many of the notable artists discussed hereabouts owed their commercial success to Alfred Steiglitz. Why? Because Steiglitz "knew" New York society. Thus, when he brought Adams to New York, Adams became "known". Without that boost, Adams' photography would probably be lost to obscurity.

So, as Michael says, how you proceed from here is most important. Big tip; don't be bitter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Michael - Good point.

Personally I plan on doing two things.

1 - Doing the kind of art I like. Not what someone else likes (unless it is a commercial job. I mean the reality is commercial work demands a certain amount of flexibility.). I am also sworn to exchew the "20 page statement".

2 - No matter how I can get it, I will get my MFA and get a teaching job. And I will NOT teach this narrow-minded crap. I will also continue my quest to improve my technique as well. I am saving up now to hit some of the workshops in Santa Fe.

On a minor note, I am looking into building a website this winter break for art students. Kind of like, APUG, but more along the lines of allowing people more freedom. Ideally monthly "shows" would be held with titles like "Because I Like It" where people submit work that they simply like! No meaning, they just LIKE! Many others I have talked to love that idea.
    ----------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it has never been how good you are, but who you know.

that said, it is always more rewarding if you are able to get jobs, audiences &c on your own - the thing is its 100times more difficult to get someone to give you that opportunity.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometimes I think the art world is at an all time low, but then I reflect on pieces like this, and I know we're in good hands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, hey, thats my favourate image....
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

When da Vinci painted this he was at an inspired moment in his life. The way he captured the smile on the black dogs face put to shame anything he had done previously, including the Mona Lisa.

When this was sold for something like 60 million dollars it hurt to know that it was waaaaay out of my league.

Thanks for sharing it again.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin