Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 782

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    http://www.diacenter.org/km/index.html
    One *interesting* web site!!!

I'm not quite sure how useful it is ... but still ... INTERESTING!!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah....

I just want to know why Geo. Washington is staring at those people though.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    I just want to know why Geo. Washington is staring at those people though.....
    Good question. Having been involved with statistics in a former life, I have become accustomed to investigating the construction of "surveys" and their relation to the inferences drawn from them.

The painting shown as "most desirable" ... my first question would be, "Most desirable in comparison to ... what? All art, or a few, narrowly limited, choices?"

I'll visit the web site again ... but. for the moment, I'm not changing my visions of the images I *really* want to make in my work.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    ....Because Steiglitz "knew" New York society. Thus, when he brought Adams to New York, Adams became "known". Without that boost, Adams' photography would probably be lost to obscurity.
    I certainly agree that Stieglitz's influence aided Adams in accelerating his career, but Adams also had a benefactor in San Francisco (I forget his name) who may have had the major influence. We agree that knowing the "right" people is important. I wish I had more than this to offer Robert, but "Hang in there!"

Truly, dr bob.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Laughed out loud on this one. Way to go Sean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...but, how do they hold the cards...?

The whole "it's not what you know but who you know" theory of life was addressed by comedienne/humorist Fran Leibowicz (sp?) a few years ago.

The article was about Hollywood and the nepotism that prevails there and I believe it had to do with Tori Spelling the daughter of super Producer Aaron Spelling as well as Jeff Bridges and Michael Douglas and a whole host of others with famous parents. Her take on it was when interviewed by the media, people like Tori Spelling would always say defensively "yah, my father may have helped me get through the door but I had to come up with the goods once I got there."

Fran Leibowicz ripped that apart by saying " well yeah, but acting ain't brain surgery and almost anyone can do it, especially to TV standards"

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE ACCESS. 3/4 of the population could act as well as Tori Spelling if we had daddy to pull the strings to get us through the door.

I believe that in most things, ACCESS is a huge part of the equation.

Perhaps in the art world that is why so many "artists" revert to "shock art" to get noticed. They have no other way to be seen. Critics and galleries often climb over each other to introduce these people to the world so they too will be noticed.

Next time you read a movie review, or look at a movie ad, see how the reviewers will spew superlatives so their notice can be seen on the movie ad. Often they will say the same thing for more than one movie. "The best of the Year" blah blah blah

Everybody want access, everybody wants to be noticed, everybody wants to be special.

Everybody wants their 15 minutes, and once they get it, they want 15 more.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Too true.

Look at American Photo. They have this GREAT habit of throwing in the work of celebrities. Often without cause, but simply because they took some pictures.

Trust me, the interview with Alyssa Milano did NOT enlighten anyone.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin