Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,912   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    I'm with that one. For me it is about getting my vision to match up with what is on the paper.
    Funny, I was just thinking of this today. I read a quote by Alvarez Bravo that said "photograph what is there, not what you think {is there}"

Given that Bravo was photographing before Adams and the f64 movement I am not surprised about this statement, which IMO is more in keeping with the Weston school. Let not "visualize" the image before we press the shutter, but instead examine what is there and "see" it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm.... Thanks for all of these.

I think I go with Tom's definition personally. To me, your own standards are the ones that count. People will look at your work and assess your ability based on this. If you're happy for them to base this assessment on crap then they can draw their own conclusions! Only you can decide whether your standards are high enough; others can give input but the final decision rests with you (damnit!).

Tom's definition is also loose enough to cover both the technical and aesthetic parts of a "fine print", neither of which is sufficient in itself.

To continue this, I'd be really interested in hearing Ann's and Jdef's definition of a "fine print" as opposed to a "finished print".

Ditto Ann's definition.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Somebody mentioned the Italian word incorrectly stating that fine means final .
    Yes, that is true , but fine ( fee-ne ) also has the same meaning of the english word fine .
    Fine arts in Italian is Belle Arti , belle , means beautiful ,= fine .
    The expression fine print to me means the finest print you can make at the moment , if you call it final then you preclude every possibilityu of adding any improvement or new elements to the image itself .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin