Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,646   Online: 694

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, Would you still create photographs if you knew no one would ever see your work? In other words do you make photographs for yourself or for everyone else? Know where I stand...wondering how everyone else here at APUG feels.... :whistle:
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes.. wouldn't be that much of a change

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep. Actually I kind of prefer it that way now....

Although I DO like getting critiques from fellow APUGers since they are by far the best I have ever gotten. Constructive and useful.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the time nobody sees my images. I photograph for myself. On occasion someone (friend or family) will see a contact sheet used as a bookmark, hanging to dry, or just in my room and will want a print. Sometimes I do shots for others as gifts (the animal photo gig is really keeping the costs down for Christmas this year). My photography is for me and I enjoy it that way as I don't have any outside pressures and can work at my own leisurely pace.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's what I've been doing for most of my life!

Except a short period as part-time pro, none of my photographs have ever been intended for showing.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I 'take' my photographs for my own self gratifacation (is that legal?) but I must admit that there is a certain pleasure in stimulating/touching someone elses emotions, but I don't actively seek it.

I echo what Robert Kennedy is saying that Critiques on APUG can be rewarding and a 'growing' experience

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Probably. Nobody else has seen most of my work. Very few people have seen even a representative sampling of my photos.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an amateur photographer I work primarily for myself. Of course I'm happy, if somebody else likes my work, but this isn't my intention. I wouldn't be satisfied, if someone else likes a piece of my work that I don't like. My own taste is what counts for my hobbies. This is totally different in my profession, but that is (fortunately ;-)) not photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot mostly for myself so very few people see my work. At times, I do portraits and cover social events for other people and that work is shown, but I would definately still be photographing for myself even if I knew no one else but me would see it.
    Brian McDowell

Most certainly.

I enjoy the creation and process entirely. Simply put. I enjoy the journey of observation, attempting to make a creation (negative) and interpretation (printing).

Like others, most of my work is private but an occasional compliment from somebody I know is appreciated. More important to me is that a casual observer enjoys my prints than to have a critique from skilled photographers. I am not in this as a competition but rather from the simple pleasure of creating beautiful or perhaps intriguing prints. I like to think that beautiful or interesting prints are easily appreciated by most people and do not require a skilled and trained photographic eye to evaluate the value of such a print. ... Sorta like "the Emperor's new clothes syndrome".

I have always believed that I do not need to be educated or instructed on what is art and what is not art. I trust my own eyes and and what I like to view. I will leave the exotic art and wild interpretation to those that have a desire to do this.

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin