Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 672

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

jim,,,
    i thought at the biggining that u characterize me as one who colectes leicas and linhofs, i have only two cameras now which are workhourses.
    u know my cameras are not popular at all here in israel, and many doesnt even realize that i hold in my hand stuff which is more expenssive than nikon f5 or hasselblad h1, and im very happy with it cause i have no intantion to impress ppl with my staff but with what i creat with it.
    the "true love" not always belongs to your past list or the harem. sometimes it comes somewhere in the duration of life and u go on living with it.
    by the way, i apriciate very much building your own cameras etc. ive done it with the pinhole and that was a true joy and a great photos as well.
    victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Victor,

sorry about the mis-communication. I did not mean to give the impression I was being critical of you. You obviously have a passion for the art and craft of photography and choose your equipment based on persuing your vision not on what is the current trend or what others think of you.

And I agree with a previous post about Leicas. I have had the opportunity to use them from time to time and there is nothng quite like what you get with that Zeiss glass.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by victor
    ... a person of that kind that buys a collection of ferraris mclarens and aten martins and thinks that by putting it in his garage he will be schumacher.
    Victor, that's what I meant by "gadgetophiles". And I think the photo-equivalents are busy amassing digital cameras

Of course it's quite possible that I misunderstood completely. For some reason I find your posts extremely difficult to read...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

oh , ole im sorry, with my writting. when i write philosophy, and that is what i do this days, even very familiar ppl find dificult to get me. the mind is somehow thinks in "different way". my excuses for the way i express myself, i will try to be clearer.

jim. ya, leica glasses and rodenstoks are the best. it would be shame not to make good stuff with them. if one doesnt make with this stuff good things then all the excuses should be found for the $$$ spent on it... lol
    victor

Images
    Give Leonardo a crappy Walmart brush, and a card board box to paint on and I have no doubt he would have continued to paint. I am also sure these machines would have felt wrong. It is not the machine that is important, it is the image. But we have our preferences. We like this lens, and that camera but should we limit ourselves and our vision to those machines that "fit us"? Since we are waxing philiosophicaly here I would rewrite the words to mean if it does not fit or is "wrong" it is up to us to make it fit to create and fulfill the need inside us to make an image.. Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds(emerson). There are many photogrpahers who shoot with only one lens.

There are many reasons for this but all say they are familiar with the way it feels, they are comfortable, or this is how I started. They have become a slave to that piece of glass, or that camera body. They no longer think abut what might be or what about this lens or how about this format.

Of course new is good and digital has it's place, maybe even in my bag someday, but this means we define new as the latest and most advanced when new means what you have never used. I looked at the image on my 5x7 2D GG for the first time last night and it is by no means new, nor is the lens I mounted. It was almost over whelming, but it sparked something. Not just the end of a four and a half year rebuild but it was like I wanted to see with it. I wanted to make it fit. The learning curve is a necessary thing and maybe the reason something just does not fit is our resistance to something different.

My 2 cents
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin