Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,773   Online: 1032

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I wouldn't give up the neagtives under any circumstances. Unless, maybe, if they bought them for a fair price. What if you gave them the negatives, they then had prints made, and sold the pictures?

If you don't plan to post them on the Internet or publish them in another way, and it appears that is the case, I'd just tell them that they'll have to trust you to keep your word about that. If husband is neurotic about this, that's his problem, not yours.

Yes, next time get a release.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're not likely to do anything with the negatives anyway, I'd shred them. That satisfies their concern about having negatives "out there" and satisfies what should be your concern about bad prints being made from them and those prints being attributed to you.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Robert,

This is a sad thread. Michael was right in his first post. It all depends on if she signed a release. If she did end of story, she goes away with nothing.

If she didn't sign a release, I would suggest a burning party. I would never give away any negatives, she has no real right to them anyway, she did not pay for them and she was paid prints for the shoot (which she gave to a prior boyfriend). Invite them over and burn them together.

Did you learn something about shooting the nude figure with her? If so then you did gain something no matter how this all ends up.

Now, I hope you see the need for a release. Besides any problems like this that may come up, there are more sticky issues with proving that the model is of legal age. Something very important to do now-a-days just in case some one ever wants to claim someone was underage.

This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. We had worked with a number of local college students. One called him up after graduation thinking that maybe she didn't want those images of her out there. He laughed on the phone and said to the model, "you had no problem signing the release at the time of the shoot and being paid for your time. Go away." While his comment was a little cold, he was right. Funny thing, I shot the same model and she never called me about wanting any of the work back.

I also recommend ALWAYS having an assistant, wife, girlfriend, or another photographer present during a shooting session. We don't need any models leaving your shoot and then claiming you attacked them or something. Try proving you didn't, much easier to have an assistant there.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even with a release I'd have this problem.

Keep in mind not having one is no worry as the sale of the images or exhibition would never come up.

It is HIS problem. 100% HIS problem. The guy is lunatic. Pure and simple.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the value of them.

There is no way giving them away is an option. First off we are talking about 10 hours time just on the shoots. Easily another 10 for scanning, and printing. Then the cost of printing. The cost of wear and tear on my gear. Gas. Travel time. Etc.

Why would I GIVE them away to someone who acted so poorly?

Especially when there is no actual "threat" here. But if I gave them away who knows what could become of them!

I mean figuring costs of the negs, my time, etc. etc. etc., and yes, I got this figure from a pro-shooter in town....

$6,000.00 should do it.

Oh, and Aggie this was NOT the woman who was my boss. She has no problems at all with the pictures I took of her.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Robert:

It appears that you have answered your own question. Now just take the initiative and stand up for yourself.

Act like a professional and say these are mine, piss off (in a diplomatic way of course).

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've always had A policy of mutual regret policy. with no time limit. The deal is: that on mutual territory we meet with negs in hand and a pair of scissors. Prior to this meeting they are aloud to choose their favorite few images that are printed and handed to them on an agreed to price. then cut the negative to pieces. you should prior to this go thru the work and choose you educational favorites and make prints for a referral file towards future plans on your images. These images are reference only. If this guy harasses to much don't be afraid to file a police report. and have witnesses at the shredding. I had this happen one time with a hair stylist who asked to model for me then her coked out boyfriend came and threatened my wife and I till I gave him the negs. (pervert) so I called the police they took him out of the studio and she and I shredded the negs. Never heard from them again. The 2 other times I had models who regretted their experience it was done in a friendly way we worked through it together then cut the negs. Giving your negs away is a bad idea if they ever do get published out of your control you could be in a lot more trouble. If you do photograph anyone nude again state up front that if do change their mind don't hesitate to call. You can always re-shoot with someone else.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    See, thats the thing that bugs me here. I am VERY good about getting permission to show people work.

Last week I took some FANTASTIC shots of another friend. No nudes, but sort of a Hollywood glamour thing. Hey, I just got a new softbox! I was itching to try it! Anyway I got some great leg shots. Really nice. I'd love to get input on them. Why don't I post them? The model is out of town. And even though these are just shots of bare legs and a dress (don't even see a hint of thigh...), and you don't see her face, I won't post them sans permission.

And yet this happens....

Must be bad karma from another life...
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally, (assuming I didn't have a model release) I'd destroy the negs. I would never sell or give away negs -- they could reprint those things all day long, and there's not much you could do about it. No way. You could have prints of very poor quality floating around God knows where, all with your name attached to them, for God knows what purpose.

If you have a model release, the only thing you have to consider is that they will most certainly badmouth you at every opportunity. So, although legally you would be on safe ground, you may pay a price for keeping the negs. In this business, reputation is everything, particularly if you are working with nude models.

Just my two cents' worth.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin