Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,412   Online: 1130

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To get back on topic....

A couple of salient points that I think were missed here...

1 - They want EVERYTHING. Not just the nudes, and they want all prints, CDs, etc. Told you it was creepy. I mean this is a WEIRD request. Again, if this guy was in the Taliban, I might expect this....

2- She moved last year to another community 100 miles away. She can bitch all she wants, nobody will hear her here.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

OK. Let's take it to the next level.

Almost everyone here said that, after extensive argument, that they were "artists". Dammit we're artists. We all know that we suffer for our art. But would we stand up for it. Do we have what it takes to say " I made this. It was not there before. I created it. It belongs to me, and nobody is telling me what I can or cannot legally do with it. Do we have what it takes to do that?

What if it was the best landscape we ever took. The moon was perfect. The rainbow over the monastery was perfect. I doubt that I could ever duplicate it. It's the best nude I ever took, the expression was the most pure I've ever seen.

What if it was just mediocre.

Would I stand up for it.

If I was a politician and someone offered me money to vote for something. I was going to vote for anyways. Would I take it.

I'm a reporter working on a minor story. My source is tied to a bigger story then a bigger story. Would I give up my source or risk going to jail. I"ve got 2 kids.

Would I call an old friend who can help my son get into a high ranking college.

Would I, as the curator of the Cincinatti / Cleveland? Museum risk my job over a Robert Mappelthorpe exhibit.

I'm in front of the Un- American Activites hearing, do I name names. If I don't I may never work at my chosen field again.

Is this the same thing. Can we rationalize and say it's my negative and I can give it away or destroy it if I want to. But the question is, if you weren't planning on doing that until the outcry from someone, why are you doing it now.

Is saying goodwill is more important than my integrity as an artist. Are we selling out.

I know, your saying, it just isn't that important. But are you sure. Someone is dictating to you and you are giving in.

Is it question of character. Is it a question of integrity. Is my stuff sacrosanct or not.

Just asking

Michael MCBlane

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

You pose an interesting hypothesis. I used to take myself that seriously but I guess my advancing age and a smidgen of maturity have given me some degree of latitude that I was unwilling to accept before.

I guess that when I determine that the fragrance of a rose is a product of that rose and that particular rose has the right to decide who and what gets to partake of the fragrance then I will have the right to form those all encompassing attachments to my "art".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Don, Call me a blond or an artist, but WHAT DID THAT MEAN?
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thomas,

It addresses an examination of an egotistical attachment to our production of "art". Am "I" somehow different from all living things? Do other living things form attachments in the ways that humans do? Can "I" learn something from what "I" observe? Do "I" actually create art or am "I" a means by which creativity is made manifest? It seems to me that attachments whether they be to "art", to an idea, to an opinion, or to an object are the source of all suffering.

I recognize that I have a more global view then many embrace.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really do do like that statement, If I could remember it I might even use it! Course that means I need to embrace it understand it, maybe even have answers. I'd be in trouble then sooo, Great statement and I'll leave it at that.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    OK. Let's take it to the next level.

Is this the same thing. Can we rationalize and say it's my negative and I can give it away or destroy it if I want to. But the question is, if you weren't planning on doing that until the outcry from someone, why are you doing it now.

Is saying goodwill is more important than my integrity as an artist. Are we selling out.

I know, your saying, it just isn't that important. But are you sure. Someone is dictating to you and you are giving in.

Is it question of character. Is it a question of integrity. Is my stuff sacrosanct or not.

Michael MCBlane
    Michael,

I think you might have gotten a more passionate response from everyone if you said that couldn't crop the negatives.

Me, I wouldn't give them anything, no matter what the subject was, no matter what the fall out was, no matter if the images were the best images I ever made or the worst. That's my work, good bad or otherwise.

Would I give up negatives to keep a friendship?
    If the question was even asked, then they are not really my friends, why try to save a friendship that is not really there.

The touchy subject here has been the "nudes" I'm glad you asked the question what if were a different subject. It's been fun watching the responses.

I think its been said a couple of times, most people have trouble with nudes. Its a tough subject to talk about, its a very tough subject to shoot, and more often then not its a tough subject to look at.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *fyi- a few posts here have been moderated to keep things on topic, thanks, Sean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dnmilikan
    Thomas,

It addresses an examination of an egotistical attachment to our production of "art". Am "I" somehow different from all living things? Do other living things form attachments in the ways that humans do? Can "I" learn something from what "I" observe? Do "I" actually create art or am "I" a means by which creativity is made manifest? It seems to me that attachments whether they be to "art", to an idea, to an opinion, or to an object are the source of all suffering.

I recognize that I have a more global view then many embrace.
    Don,

I understand what your saying here about artists ad their egos. But I have a little different view. I was shooting a model/puppeteer in her studio a couple of years ago. She had a wonderful quote from a dancer form the thirties or something (I don't remember the person even though she explained it to me) that I think is also valid even though from a different view.

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action. And because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable, nor how it compares to other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, and to keep the channel open!"

I'll try to post one of the images of her flying through the air in front of the wall with this quote painted on it.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    this appears to be on two pages.....

so I'm editing out the second one......

my applogies if this showed up twice because of refreshing problems on my end. If that's the case I'll to to write it again.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin