Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,539   Online: 1043

View Poll Results: Do You Read the Digital Journalist?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Religiously

2 10.53%
  • Very Occasionally

6 31.58%
  • I never touch anything with the "D" word

8 42.11%
  • I have no interest in journalism

3 15.79%
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is this 'digital' thing you are talking about?

The digital journalist is primarily about photojournalism, which used to be one of the highest callings a photographer could have. the business has certainly changed quite a bit and depends on digital tools to survive.
    That said, there are still some photographers who choose to use B&W film in a more contemplative approach to covering the news and the results are as good as anything from the classic Look and Life days. PDN devoted an issue to the subject of classic vs digital PJ coverage a while back.
    My primary reason to read the digital journalist is Bill Pierce's monthly column - lots of wisdom - much of it on standard analogue tools.
    I have the 15th edition of the Leica manual from around the early 70's. Bill has a series of brilliant technical articles in it. One, in particular, "Getting the most out of Black and White film" should be required reading or anyone getting started with B&W. It cut a year off my learning curve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also like Bill Pierce's column. I don't read it regularly, but it's a great resource, and I'll check through the archives occasionally to see if there's anything good that I've missed.

The site doesn't glorify digital or exclude film, but it's more about the transition to digital techniques and what it means for journalists in the field, particularly with regard to still photographers who have added video to their repertoire.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin