Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,505   Online: 856

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Livemoa:

There is an "oriental wisdom" saying the means somethinig like this. If you till the soil, plant the seed, nurture the growth and make the harvest, then prepare and cook the food yourself, the food will taste better and nurture you better than anything that is storebought.

In photography there is something about the satisfaction gained by doing the work yourself that can never be achieved by farming parts of it out.

In your case, do what you have to do, until you can do what you want to do.

This disertation brought to you through the thoughtful guidance of Sensei Donald.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Large Format
    This disertation brought to you through the thoughtful guidance of Sensei Donald.

Michael McBlane

Michael,

Enough already...my monestary is overflowing with aspirants. When will I ever have time to till the soil and plant the food? Let alone put in the Koi pool and jacuzzi...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [quote="Ed Sukach"]
    Quote Originally Posted by livemoa

Somewhere around here, I have a "Product Safety Sheet" describing a compound that reacts *violently* with certain chemicals ... an overdose of it can cause the cessation of breathing, and death. OSHA recommends protective gear, including eye protection whenever it is used. The compound... WATER.
    It made the news this past weekend when a Southern California town was up in arms about the usage of this new evil chemical. It turned out to be the topic of a movement to ban it. *Dihydromonoxide* is just another name for water.

Livemoa You live in a world of chemicals. I understand your fear, and Like many have said, you do what you need to do for now. I would rather see you have the processing part done by others, than your images not processed at all. They can make contact sheets and work prints. From those you can decide which one to print, and how to crop/not crop what burning dodging etc that should be done to it. You can still make choices even if you don't actually get your gloved/non gloved hands in the trays.

Photography for most of us here is to enjoy. Have fun with it, and at your own pace ease into what you feel comfortable with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the comments, wow, I am overwhelmed.

Part of my problem, i will admit, is desire to control the whole process, the other part of the problem is mixing dry chemicals..... (I use ABC Pyro and shoot mainly 10x8).

One day I will get over it (I have managed to get over worse things, I mean I can swim now... the water as a hazardous substance is true, especialy if you come up through it to quickly, as i found out..) but in the short term, i feel better about using "technicians" to do the "dirty" stuff. I will no doubt be able to get into the darkroom again sometime, but in the meantime I will make images that others will develop and print for me and credit them as part of the process.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you can ever get your hands on a book called "Black and White Photgraphic Printing Work Shop" by Larry Bartlett and Jon Tarrant, you will see that all the photographs are taken by different photographers, but all are printed by Larry Bartlet. The book showcases Larry Bartlett's printing style with multigrade RC papers. The point here being that, in this example, I view the printer as an artists in the mastery of his craft, even though he did not take the photographs himself.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1
    I view the printer as an artists in the mastery of his craft, even though he did not take the photographs himself.
    Quite right. The finished product and how you were involved with it is the key. Why try to define what exactly constitutes an artist ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin