Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,102   Online: 858

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

If it is created with a camera is it "Photography"

I was looking at the work of J Beever and was curious how he made the drawings.

Without knowing how he did it, I figured he used a projector at night and drew from that, but he states that he uses a camera on a tripod to mark out these drawings as they are created.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Do a google video search for him. Here is one I found.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    The simple answer is no.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Maybe he's using a camera obscura (??) to make traces.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It is a contemporary use of anamorphic perspective drawing similar to Hans Holbein the Younger's The Ambassadors.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go to Michaels Craft store on line and check out the Photo to wall projector and you will then see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Do a google video search for him. Here is one I found.
    Great video! Loved to see this.

From the video, it just seems he uses the camera to do quick checks from a fixed point, so as to have the perspective completely right from a single point.

For the rest, I just think he has great skills and experience and a great feeling for perspective. Yes, some people do use projectors to make drawings, but like this guy, there are others who can do without.

In this very short video of the Italian artist Luciano Ventrone, who makes photo realistic oil painting, you can at the end in a very short shot, see him tracing from a projection on his canvas, based on pictures of still lifes he made before. The last sentence he speaks reads: The picture is the starting point, to go elsewhere...

http://www.galleriaforni.it/trailerventrone.htm

This drawing is by myself and I made it just sitting in front of the scene with nothing but a pencil and paper:

My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is tracing a photo (with pencil on paper) photography?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here is one of my fellow faculty member's work using this technique in the classical sense.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually think that Vermeer's work with a camera obscura is one of the earliest forms of photography. If the scene has been put through a lens, and thus has lensing effects... an apertured perspective, in/out-of-focus elements or overall pinhole diffraction softening etc., then it is a photograph.

So, yes, I do think this is a form of photography. But it's not worth debating, really- I can imagine plenty of valid arguments contrary to mine.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin