Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 755

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You may now face arrest

A friend posted this link on his facebook page.

http://peaceworker.dreamhosters.com/...medium=twitter

Be careful when you photograph in any situation where police are involved. In my opinion, these laws MUST be challenged and overturned. Anyone interested in a little excitement? The article tells you where to go: Massachusetts, Maryland, or Illinois would be a great place to start. There are nine others where enforcement could be expected, but these three states are the hot ones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed: This post made in general, not specifically addressing anything other than the thread's overall (and original) theme.

There are quite legitimate concerns with terrorism and various forms of surveillance, including photography.

The sad part is that overall paranoia combined with a lack of real training and understanding among security guards, cops, and the public leads to legit photographers (99.99999%+ of photographers) being hassled and real terrorists possibly or even probably going unnoticed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A look over at carlosmiller.com shows a large increase in these incidents lately. This seems to follow the increasing number of general arrests, the increasing number of citizens killed by the cops, and increasing hostility by government towards the public. I live in an unincorporated area but the city is nearby. They really take things like photography more seriously there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Which remind me....

The company I work for has stopped us taking pictures with SLR type camera. We have been told, we can't even take pictures of the back yard portion of the business facing AWAY from building. One of us was required to get permission from security then from corporate for a permission to take photo outside - at the parking lot. Company name cannot be shown and door cannot be open. Few days later, I saw a bunch of people taking photos of our lobby area, with company name in the frame AND security guard was posing with them. These people were using regular point-and-shoot digital.
    That reminds me. A few years ago I went to the opening of the Apple Store in my city. I thought I'd be nice and ask if I could take pictures since I was in a local Mac Users Group. The shop staff promptly told me "No". Literally all around me were hundreds of people snapping away on their P&S digicams and cellphones and no one said a thing, nor were there any signs forbidding photography :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    same here in front of the Palo Alto apple store; the store employee said I was not allowed to stand on the public sidewalk and photograph the interior of the store. Rubbish. The only reason the guy could stop me is because I was using a rollei on a tripod.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 06-24-2010 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    same here in front of the Palo Alto apple store; the store employee said I was not allowed to stand on the public sidewalk and photograph the interior of the store. Rubbish. The only reason the guy could stop me is because I was using a rollei on a tripod.
    Customers couldn't get in? You were blocking the door?

I'm sure he was ignorant, but if you were blocking the door, I suspect that he'd be within his legal rights to "ask" you to move. He may not have thought of that, instead relying on his misunderstanding of a different law.

However, courts are increasingly coming down on the side of property owners and individuals and against photographers, so it is difficult to say just what is in fact legal to do with a camera.

If you were shooting with an iphone, he wouldn't have had a problem with you.

No, it is NOT rational.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 06-24-2010 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: see above

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    Customers couldn't get in? You were blocking the door?

I'm sure he was ignorant, but if you were blocking the door, I suspect that he'd be within his legal rights to "ask" you to move. He may not have thought of that, instead relying on his misunderstanding of a different law.

However, courts are increasingly coming down on the side of property owners and individuals and against photographers, so it is difficult to say just what is in fact legal to do with a camera.

If you were shooting with an iphone, he wouldn't have had a problem with you.

No, it is NOT rational.
    No way, I was against the curb 10-12 feet from the door, people were walking between us as we talked. But that was how my thread went: "you can't stop people with iPhones, what the difference?" But he would have none of it, I eventually just said, "whatever" and walked off. It was just a grab shot anyway but I guess it rubbed me the wrong way, cause I'm still talking about it a week later

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin