Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,518   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    A tripod is often used as a measuring stick here in the States to determine whether a commercial permit is required or not.
    The tripod is normally an obstruction problem here rather than a question of personal or commercial use.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The tripod is normally an obstruction problem here rather than a question of personal or commercial use.

Steve.
    Sometimes it is, but not everywhere.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Back in the '70s the Finnish photographer Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen shot her book "Byker" in a classic 'street candid' style. But when she worked on "Byker Revisited" recently she set-up all her shots. Her rationale:

This new project took a very different approach. It's no longer OK to walk the streets with a camera and photograph anyone – especially children – without permission. So I got to know people, and asked them: if you were to put your life into just one picture, what would be in it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a tripod for my Yashica 35mm and Crown Graphic at the Alamo in San Antonio this past October. A Park Ranger came up to me and asked, "Excuse me. Are you a professional photographer?" I told him no, and he replied, "That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks."

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in Montreal last month, walking the streets recording, with a digital camera, the various appealing menus just to show my wife what was available to eat since she wasn't with me. I had no problem for several hours, until a guy ran after me after I had photographed his window, which had his viands listed. He said it was ok to photograph, but he wanted me to ask first, and after a very low key discussion, told me that it is illegal to photograph storefronts! Well, of course this is baloney. What's the difference between your storefront and Notre Dame Cathedral's store front? The only difference is that it's yours, and you are paranoid.

Believe me, the last thing I want is a confrontation that can produce nothing but bad feelings, so I didn't say what I just wrote above. Instead, I just asked him whether he would like me to erase the image. "No, it's not whether you erase the image or not, it's just that you can't take pictures without asking". I'm not here to correct each and every person's misguided opinions, so I just left. Sure, he ought to know, but so should hundreds of thousands of others.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    I was in Montreal last month, walking the streets recording, with a digital camera, the various appealing menus just to show my wife what was available to eat since she wasn't with me. I had no problem for several hours, until a guy ran after me after I had photographed his window, which had his viands listed. He said it was ok to photograph, but he wanted me to ask first, and after a very low key discussion, told me that it is illegal to photograph storefronts! Well, of course this is baloney. What's the difference between your storefront and Notre Dame Cathedral's store front? The only difference is that it's yours, and you are paranoid.

Believe me, the last thing I want is a confrontation that can produce nothing but bad feelings, so I didn't say what I just wrote above. Instead, I just asked him whether he would like me to erase the image. "No, it's not whether you erase the image or not, it's just that you can't take pictures without asking". I'm not here to correct each and every person's misguided opinions, so I just left. Sure, he ought to know, but so should hundreds of thousands of others.
    You might have told him that you were from "60 Minutes", and were going to enter his store with video cams blazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post

You should have deleted him!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    This appeared on the BBC website today and may be of interest to some, as it's a hot potato that raises its head frequently. Even if the subject is one that you won't lose any sleep over, the article's well written and worth a read.

Steve

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog...f_the_law.html
    What a dangerous hobby photography is! LOL

What's the risk? Act sensibly. Ask for permission where it makes sense and peoples feelings or rights may be violated. Ask for forgiveness where it does not make sense, and forget about the rest. Everyday, we probably brake the law three times without even knowing about it. This is a bunch of hype, and I wonder how much of it is actually feed by photographers who try to make themselves look important. In western societies, it's still more dangerous to cross the road than to take a picture of a public building. I know, I've done it in most of them.

40 years ago, Mr. Rogers was a friendly neighbor. Today, he would probably be a potential pervert (not having a job, or a wife and talking to young children without asking their parents for permission first). What has changed? Our society? Trouble is, we are that society. Let's change it back and give this nonsense no feeding ground.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    40 years ago, Mr. Rogers was a friendly neighbor. Today, he would probably be a potential pervert (not having a job, or a wife and talking to young children without asking their parents for permission first).
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenico Foschi View Post
    To assume that the people in general have no part in this trend is not the right approach in my opinion. To claim so also means to believe that people's intelligence and power is limited.
    Thank you for commenting on my comment. I am afraid, you saw my comment in different light than I meant. Of course, people has everything to do with what's happening. After all, it's people themselves creates this trend.

I also said nothing about making assumption about people's intelligence or power. Quite opposite actually. I was acknowledging people's ability to adapt to current situation when I said I do not blame people from reacting this way.

I do not take a grand approach to my photography. I try to ask for permissions when practical when taking photograph of what is not mine. I do not take risks in sake of my art. It is a joyful event to capture an image, not an adventure.

Of course, all this is my opinion and how I conduct my own hobby. It is not meant to contradict with yours or start or debate.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin