Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,892   Online: 913
      
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 125
  1. #11
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,821
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    A tripod is often used as a measuring stick here in the States to determine whether a commercial permit is required or not.
    The tripod is normally an obstruction problem here rather than a question of personal or commercial use.


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The tripod is normally an obstruction problem here rather than a question of personal or commercial use.


    Steve.
    Sometimes it is, but not everywhere.

    Jeff

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,241
    Back in the '70s the Finnish photographer Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen shot her book "Byker" in a classic 'street candid' style. But when she worked on "Byker Revisited" recently she set-up all her shots. Her rationale:

    This new project took a very different approach. It's no longer OK to walk the streets with a camera and photograph anyone – especially children – without permission. So I got to know people, and asked them: if you were to put your life into just one picture, what would be in it?

  4. #14
    skyrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    305
    Images
    1
    I used a tripod for my Yashica 35mm and Crown Graphic at the Alamo in San Antonio this past October. A Park Ranger came up to me and asked, "Excuse me. Are you a professional photographer?" I told him no, and he replied, "That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks."

    Rick

  5. #15
    bowzart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Anacortes, WA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,219
    Images
    15
    I was in Montreal last month, walking the streets recording, with a digital camera, the various appealing menus just to show my wife what was available to eat since she wasn't with me. I had no problem for several hours, until a guy ran after me after I had photographed his window, which had his viands listed. He said it was ok to photograph, but he wanted me to ask first, and after a very low key discussion, told me that it is illegal to photograph storefronts! Well, of course this is baloney. What's the difference between your storefront and Notre Dame Cathedral's store front? The only difference is that it's yours, and you are paranoid.

    Believe me, the last thing I want is a confrontation that can produce nothing but bad feelings, so I didn't say what I just wrote above. Instead, I just asked him whether he would like me to erase the image. "No, it's not whether you erase the image or not, it's just that you can't take pictures without asking". I'm not here to correct each and every person's misguided opinions, so I just left. Sure, he ought to know, but so should hundreds of thousands of others.

  6. #16
    Dave Pritchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    I was in Montreal last month, walking the streets recording, with a digital camera, the various appealing menus just to show my wife what was available to eat since she wasn't with me. I had no problem for several hours, until a guy ran after me after I had photographed his window, which had his viands listed. He said it was ok to photograph, but he wanted me to ask first, and after a very low key discussion, told me that it is illegal to photograph storefronts! Well, of course this is baloney. What's the difference between your storefront and Notre Dame Cathedral's store front? The only difference is that it's yours, and you are paranoid.

    Believe me, the last thing I want is a confrontation that can produce nothing but bad feelings, so I didn't say what I just wrote above. Instead, I just asked him whether he would like me to erase the image. "No, it's not whether you erase the image or not, it's just that you can't take pictures without asking". I'm not here to correct each and every person's misguided opinions, so I just left. Sure, he ought to know, but so should hundreds of thousands of others.
    You might have told him that you were from "60 Minutes", and were going to enter his store with video cams blazing.

  7. #17
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    This appeared on the BBC website today and may be of interest to some, as it's a hot potato that raises its head frequently. Even if the subject is one that you won't lose any sleep over, the article's well written and worth a read.

    Steve

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog...f_the_law.html
    What a dangerous hobby photography is! LOL

    What's the risk? Act sensibly. Ask for permission where it makes sense and peoples feelings or rights may be violated. Ask for forgiveness where it does not make sense, and forget about the rest. Everyday, we probably brake the law three times without even knowing about it. This is a bunch of hype, and I wonder how much of it is actually feed by photographers who try to make themselves look important. In western societies, it's still more dangerous to cross the road than to take a picture of a public building. I know, I've done it in most of them.

    40 years ago, Mr. Rogers was a friendly neighbor. Today, he would probably be a potential pervert (not having a job, or a wife and talking to young children without asking their parents for permission first). What has changed? Our society? Trouble is, we are that society. Let's change it back and give this nonsense no feeding ground.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  8. #18
    bobwysiwyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI U.S.A.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,571
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    40 years ago, Mr. Rogers was a friendly neighbor. Today, he would probably be a potential pervert (not having a job, or a wife and talking to young children without asking their parents for permission first).
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

    Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Domenico Foschi View Post
    To assume that the people in general have no part in this trend is not the right approach in my opinion. To claim so also means to believe that people's intelligence and power is limited.
    Thank you for commenting on my comment. I am afraid, you saw my comment in different light than I meant. Of course, people has everything to do with what's happening. After all, it's people themselves creates this trend.

    I also said nothing about making assumption about people's intelligence or power. Quite opposite actually. I was acknowledging people's ability to adapt to current situation when I said I do not blame people from reacting this way.

    I do not take a grand approach to my photography. I try to ask for permissions when practical when taking photograph of what is not mine. I do not take risks in sake of my art. It is a joyful event to capture an image, not an adventure.

    Of course, all this is my opinion and how I conduct my own hobby. It is not meant to contradict with yours or start or debate.

  10. #20
    bowzart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Anacortes, WA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,219
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    What a dangerous hobby photography is! LOL
    If it's a hobby, that's one thing. If it's a profession, that could be another. Just doing my job, I have been literally attacked. It only happened once, but I thought I was going to get hurt. I was asked to leave a few places, but that's their business, if they really want to turn down mid five figures ($) in promotional value. I have a feeling that some of them regretted it when they told their boss what they had done, but they had to follow the rules, I guess.

    re: the Sirius comment. The guy who attacked me was deleted. I punched him out -- of the negative. With a punch.

    One aspect of this that has changed a lot is the demise of the consumer picture magazine. My job was to be unobtrusive, invisible if possible, so that the images would reflect real life. We could set up some shots, but generally didn't unless the subject was static. Now the magazines are so plasticized, there is not a lot of need for that kind of photography any more.

    I suppose it might have become a hobby for me by now. Maybe I ought to just accept it. But for some who work out there in the world, there can be dangers.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin