Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,840   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm

Photography in Public Places

This appeared on the BBC website today and may be of interest to some, as it's a hot potato that raises its head frequently. Even if the subject is one that you won't lose any sleep over, the article's well written and worth a read.

Steve

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/photoblog...f_the_law.html

Shooter
    35mm
    a long time ago i found a book called "photography: what's the law?" but it was written in the 70s or 80s and is surely outdated. i don't know if there are books like that now. i understand that people can be uncomfortable being photographed, but i balk at being told i can't take photographs in public places. where would garry winogrand or henri cartier-bresson be now if they had been yelled at for toting their camera around?

oh and i will add- i was in chicago and took a photograph in an El station, and was told by the attendant that i wasn't allowed to do so for security reasons or something.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Had some private "security" person tell me tripods are not allowed in Trafalger Square - Something about needing a permit from GLC... My reply "Sorry mate, don't speak english."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A tripod is often used as a measuring stick here in the States to determine whether a commercial permit is required or not.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was in San Diego on July 5th photographing an ordinary water meter attached to the hotel that was intriguing (to me) and the security guard raced over in her go cart and explained that I would need permission from the building owner....The funny thing was that earlier that day I had a nice conversation with another security guard at the same place who was a photo enthusiast. I had hoped to see him to report the insult and embarrassment but I had to return home.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This paranoid trend in England really saddens me.

I'm American and things are worse everywhere, but for what faults it has, I always thought of British culture as being saner in this regard. Instead, they've managed to marginalize public photography faster than any other western nation.

On a lighter note and slight reveral, I've been doing more "street" photography (such as it is) locally here in rural Washington and a friend jokes that all kinds of locals probably think I work for the government and am spying on them. She's probably right, given the particular paranoid tenor of some of the locals. The really funny thing though? I do work for the government. I'm a Postman.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like the current trend is to doubt everything and everybody. I am not sure if I really blame public for this behavior though. The Internet is full of scams and schemes trying catch people off guard. What we thought to be safe (banking) isn't. Something we thought "nobody would be crazy enough to do that...." has been done. On top of it, the difference between news media and tabloid has been so blurred that everyone is going for sensationalism rather than reporting with sanity and rationality in mind. A lot of things are so blown out - out of proportion.

Such a sad world we live in.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Looks like the current trend is to doubt everything and everybody. I am not sure if I really blame public for this behavior though. The Internet is full of scams and schemes trying catch people off guard. What we thought to be safe (banking) isn't. Something we thought "nobody would be crazy enough to do that...." has been done. On top of it, the difference between news media and tabloid has been so blurred that everyone is going for sensationalism rather than reporting with sanity and rationality in mind. A lot of things are so blown out - out of proportion.

Such a sad world we live in.
    To assume that the people in general have no part in this trend is not the right approach in my opinion. To claim so also means to believe that people's intelligence and power is limited. I have encountered many people who display a bad attitude toward me when I shoot, but also countless who or don't care or are fascinated by what I do.
    At the end it's everyone's responsibility to wake up and see things in the right perspective. Let them go to museums, to art galleries and see what photographers and artists at large do. We as photographers are out there taking pictures regardless of some risks involved. If laws or public opinion are against it, we will be the first to be hurt by it, but then the society in the whole will suffer the consequences as well.
    For prints sales, workshops and individual lessons,
    please, check my website

My APUG Portfolio
    http://www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=196<p>

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    A tripod is often used as a measuring stick here in the States to determine whether a commercial permit is required or not.
    That happens a lot around here in Richmond Va. One would get chase off with a tripod on a park.

Jeff

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin