Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 811

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hiking with the 8x10 is great physical exercise - I can eat ice cream and brownies later after the Osso Buco. Plus, I can get away from the wife for a few hours. Bonus - if something beautiful comes out of it.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    I take out my 4X5 when I am feeling relatively secure within myself, my 8X10 when I am "out of sorts", and my 12X20 when I am wanting to impress others...We engage in windy discussions about the relative size of one's camera format as an indication of the size other physical attributes...this is all accomplished as we belch and pass gas. It doesn't solve many of the worlds problems. However it does leave me feeling somewhat better.

My memory is declining at such an advancing rate that I don't remember many quotes. I wouldn't want to have others think that I don't have an original thought. For that reason, I try to quote only myself.

Donald Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    In a few cases it is a tool of obfuscation perfected by such pundits as George Will, wherein if I can offer up arcane quotes then by association I must be as brilliant as the Great Mind, and therefore your little mind cannot possibly compete against my arguments and you must surrender to my point of view. (Yeah, bite me)
    OOO!!! Wish I had said that!!

I think those "tools of obfuscation" were invented by art critics.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    "I do photography because I feel better doing it than I do when I don't do it." - Ed Sukach

Pretty much sums it up for me. I just want to shoot. But I do look for strong lines. Not necessarily curves but good strong lines.

So far this thread has had sex, masturbation, and obfuscation(is that legal?) I'm afraid I can't associate with such a bunch of potty mouths and gutter minds. Pretty soon michaels 1000 thread count sheets will enter into the fray and no one will be safe.

By the way, if one quotes oneself too much, will one go blind? :wacko:
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    127 Format
    "Writing about _______ is like fishing about architecture".

Complete the quote ;-)

Dunno who said it though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya know this could be a very fun thread......

Just have to be lucky and have 1000 thread count sheets. Be artistic and have a hot tub next to the darkrrom. Then there are those koi fish and a bit of the vino. Now what critic could judge that to be unenlightened? Failing that we have our trusty hocky sticks. So to quote Blansky. "puck you" notice that is spelled with a P!
    Non Digital Diva

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I look with my eyes, with my lens. I see what I see. I like what I see. Print what I see. I like what I print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="Ed Sukach"]Here I hope to open an honest DISCUSSION (note: Two way .. or three ... or as many as would like to jump in ..) about the underlying principles, mindsets - and/or the experiences that brought our works into being.

Well Ed, at first it was to create technical perfection. Clear sharp and bright. Now I am not so sure.

Maybe what I want to capture just can't be had with an 8x10 all the time. Maybe it doesn't have to print 20x24 to captivate me. Maybe it doesen't have to be beautiful to be wonderful. Maybe it doesn't have to be 350 miles away to be special. Maybe it should be the ordinary seen as extrordinary without being trite or clice. Maybe it should be found. Maybe it should be created.

I AM confused of course and so that means it WILL be an accident so I guess I'll click away and see what develops. Maybe I should get some sleep now!

Frank

Signature removed because I don't want to feel foolish for blansky. Whom I regard as a great photographer with compeling ideas. (true) But the next thread the signature goes back on - Sorry Blaine -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do photography because it is the expressive medium that best fits me (that I've tried so far). My mind works visually to a degree that I haven't encountered in many other people. Every conceivable thought that goes on in my mind is visually represented. Every night I dream and it's like going to six Lynch-Bertolucci-Kurosawa-Hideo-SABU-Doyle films in a row.

If I can't express myself visually, my old mental issues come back to haunt me. Sometimes shooting is as much about staying sane as it is about creating. I have an overactive mind. It goes fast. Too fast. Like Robin Williams fast, only with imagery instead of humor. I can't keep up with it half the time.

I own cameras in formats from 35mm to 8x10 and I love and use all of them. Which one I choose (while more recently financially motivated) is generally dictated by my state of mind. Two years ago I shot almost exclusively with my 8x10. Now I shoot almost exclusively with my Nikon and my 645. A decade ago when I first got interested in photography, I read Ansel's books and took them as gospel. Now my favorite photographers are Moriyama, Araki, and Henson.

So do I even have an MO? I think so, but it's pretty damn slippery. It isn't a matter of doing what feels right - sometimes the creative process hurts like hell. It isn't a matter of doing what I want to do - sometimes I don't want to shoot but I force myself to do it anyway. Ultimately, my MO may just be to do whatever the hell my neurosis dictates on a particular day.

=========

Edit...more thoughts...

And this is just how I operate right now. I've been doing photography for about a decade now, but I'm still only 22. I fully intend to keep shooting for another 70 years. I can't begin to comprehend what manner of change will take place in terms of my working method, MO, and vision.

Also, photography is just what fits me best so far. Is it possible that I never find anything better? Quite possible. But it's also possible that I may make my first film in grad school and become wholly addicted to motion pictures. Or (gasp!) high-end digital imaging, serigraphy, multimedia, etc, for that matter. I simply have no clue what's in store. But then, maybe that's a good thing. It would be pretty boring if you could clearly see where the road ahead of you was leading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    okay, you want quotes? well then how about: "the nice part about masturbation is that you don't have to look your best." and....."you never have to say, don't stop!" i'm sure somebody really famous said those things....probably rather often.

i photograph because it gives me the opposite experience of performance. i don't have to show the results til i'm good and ready and then i KNOW the image will meet my expectations, because it's as good as it's going to be before anyone sees it. try that in performance!

actually, the photographic experience stays with me most of the day because i don't even open my eyes much anymore without "looking and seeing" in terms of light, form and composition. it's almost obsessive. when i'm lucky enough to have time to use a camera, i just attempt to put it on film as well as in my imagination. it's completely organic now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin