Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,072   Online: 861

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here I hope to open an honest DISCUSSION (note: Two way .. or three ... or as many as would like to jump in ..) about the underlying principles, mindsets - and/or the experiences that brought our works into being.

ALL insights into our "way of working" - our individual choices - and our comments on the individual choices of another are welcomed.

Let us refrain from judgement - there is no "Right" or "Wrong" way - only different ones.
    Disagreement, dissent is fine - and encouraged. Let us just keep it civil.

I'll start it off with a quote from one of the "finest" - Henri-Cartier Bresson: "Of course, It is all a matter of luck."

And one from Manuel Alvarez Bravo, "- The word "art" is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure. For the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry ed you're on your own...

Not to get off track here but why is it necessary to end every post with a "quote" from someone or other.

Is this some sort of showing off of the amount of spare time one has or is it because one is incapable of describing things in ones own words?

Does it carry more credence because someone else said it? Does it make it fact?

It reminds me of people who for every statement they make they have to quote something from the bible.

Very boring.

Just an opinion.

"Hi de hi de hi, Hi de hi de ho, Ree de dah de doo, Ree de dah de doh, Bo de dah do dah, Bo de dah do dah, Ho de ho de ho , ho de hoo de ho"

....Cab Calloway

MIchael McBlane

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Not to get off track here but why is it necessary to end every post with a "quote" from someone or other.

Is this some sort of showing off of the amount of spare time one has or is it because one is incapable of describing things in ones own words?

Does it carry more credence because someone else said it? Does it make it fact?
    I'm as guilty of this as anyone, and I have seen that in most instances it is because someone else has articulated my thoughts much more elegantly than I could at the moment. It also seems to do with lack of self-esteem - we quote the "Great Thinkers" because we consider our own words worth less since we don't occupy the rarified air of those pedestal squatters.

In a few cases it is a tool of obfuscation perfected by such pundits as George Will, wherein if I can offer up arcane quotes then by association I must be as brilliant as the Great Mind, and therefore your little mind cannot possibly compete against my arguments and you must surrender to my point of view. (Yeah, bite me)

I'd like to volley a question back, though certainly not directed to Michael alone:

Why do so many of us spend so much time pseudo-intellectualizing about photography and "Art?"

It reminds me of sex - those who spend the most time thinking about it and discussing it quite obviously aren't doing it.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    [
    It reminds me of sex - those who spend the most time thinking about it and discussing it quite obviously aren't doing it.
    Can I quote you on that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Masterbation and sex mentioned here?!?!?!

I am really starting to like A-PLUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bravo is right. What is art. Even critics and the ones that subsidize it do not have a waterproof definition. Just enjoy your photography and make sure to give luck a chance. Let your both sides of your brain be in perfect balance and harmony.

Hans

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hans,

I agree, "just enjoy your photography" Who cares about the art side of the world, is that really why people are shooting? Not me, I take the camera out
    because I enjoy it.

Either some folks have way too much spare time or they just like to hear themselves talk.

Luck and hard work go hand and hand. If you don't know the basics then no matter how lucky you are your have trouble making an image. And if you are a
    technical wizard and aren't lucky from time to time, then your work has a strong chance of being rather pedestrian.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quotes often are the avenues that reveal the mindset. I could make a lot of guesses about the way some of the "greats" work, but second hand guesses are rarely, if ever, as accurate or effective as the photographers own words.

Can I always articulate my emotions and pre-conscious non-thought? Of course not - to claim anything else would be absurd. Do I run across something said by someone else that DOES "match" - at times? Certainly.

I joined in a "Life Class" - me, a bunch of pencils and charcoals and a nude model - in a group of those more experienced than I. *Wonderful* experience, because it proved to me that there are times when meticulous thought - being very careful - was counter productive. Some of the best work occurs when one "leaves ones self" and lets things flow - nearly purely intuitively.
    And that applied not only to my work - but the work of some very prominent artists in that session.

I've been applying the same idea to my photography - and it seems to work.

Try this - "I do photography because I feel better doing it than I do when I don't do it." - Ed Sukach
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin