Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,076   Online: 890

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That pretense is not always bad. Cheryl's usage has pretense --it is more than common -- and I don't see that as being bad.

Definition for the wore pretense from Dictionary.com:

pre·tense
    The act of pretending; a false appearance or action intended to deceive.
    A false or studied show; an affectation: a pretense of nonchalance.
    A professed but feigned reason or excuse; a pretext: under false pretenses.
    Something imagined or pretended.
    Mere show without reality; outward appearance.
    A right asserted with or without foundation; a claim. See Synonyms at claim.
    The quality or state of being pretentious; ostentation.
    My usage doesn't have pretense. None of the above applies to me. I simply choose to use the word 'image' for the reasons I already mentioned. Since when is using a near-synonym pretentious? The problem is, some analogue folks now associate a negative connotation to the word simply because of the phrase 'digital imaging'. No other reason than that. It's a word. It does apply to photography. Sheeesh.

I think I'm going to use the word "photograph" more consciously from now on, this in keeping with my "print as object" worldview.

I've never used the word "image" to describe a photograph. It always struck me as artsy-fartsy, as saying "film" when you meant "movie".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    we all say film and never say movie over here - does that make the English, Scottish, and Welsh artsy-fartsy?

I'm with Cheryl, BTW - it's only a word

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    My usage doesn't have pretense. None of the above applies to me. I simply choose to use the word 'image' for the reasons I already mentioned. Since when is using a near-synonym pretentious? The problem is, some analogue folks now associate a negative connotation to the word simply because of the phrase 'digital imaging'. No other reason than that. It's a word. It does apply to photography. Sheeesh.
    Webster:
    Pre•tense 1. a claim; pretension
    pre•ten•sion 1. a pretext

I don't intend to put words in to your mouth, but I will stand by what I said earlier. It fits your description. You offer a pretense or claim -- 'my pictures are not snap shots' -- by using the word image, which you seem to view as having a better connotation than photo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    To the annonymous noble beast: Real safe and cowardly to hide behind an annonymous name.
    Well, you certainly put me in my place. Of course, it would have been a lot more impressive if you had spelled "anonymous" correctly, at least once, since we are discussing nuances of language. :P

(And what makes you so certain that Noble Beast is not my christian name? Maybe I had hippy parents.)
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    There are many kinds of images, a subset of which are photographic images, or photographs, and another subset includes digital images. I don't see anything nefarious in referring to a digital image as an image, or anything pretentious about referring to a photograph as an image. After all the area inside the borders is commonly referred to as the image area of a print, or photograph. Maybe you're making something out of nothing.
    I guess I keep finding words in the digital arena are being redefined at their convenience. Get ready for the new epson "gelatin" papers and "silver" inksets that will be called, you got it -> "silver gelatin" prints..
    Too late Sean, remember digital "platinum" prints? It used to really bug me to see all the contortions and the lengths to which digitoheads go to make their work more acceptable, the word "image" is just another attempt to do this. They have tried glicèe, carbon pigment, etc.

Unlike Michael I dont see anything wrong with using the word image interchangeably with photograph, the funny thing is that in spanish we have been doing it a long time, before digital was even on the horizon. "Imagen" is a much simpler word than "fotografia", and print does not translate well in spanish, so people who are trying to sell and show their work many times call their photographs images, for the sake of simplicity.

It has been a few years since this debate started and since then I have learned a few things. Despite the claim from digitoheads that the "image" is everything and the process does not matter, go to a gallery, any good gallery and digital is nowhere to be seen with exception of a few who are doing Fuji crystal archive. Seems that for all their efforts and bombardment the public is not easily fooled and quality still matters.

In photography we used the word image transfer for years. It is not necessarily a "digital" word.

I use the word image occasionally but generally use the word photograph. Never photo. I cringe when someone calls them photos.

Like when someone writes music and some idiot calls them tunes.

The word I have a hard time with is "capture". Someone sees a picture and calls it a nice capture. Hey dude nice capture.

This language thing is a kick in the pants.

You say potato and I say potaaato. You say tomato and I say tomaaaato.

Lets call the whole thing off.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Large Format
    Language is the very imprecise attempt to transmit experience through sounds. It makes no difference whether they are written or uttered.

This whole matter is akin to arguing about the color of the fire engine that hauled my butt out of my burning house.

Donald Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Cheryl and Blansky. I've always used image rather than photograph probably because in my formative years as a photographer I worked with three British photographers, John Blakemore and Paul Hill and the late Raymond Moore, who used the term. IMO these guys changed the face of British photography and if it was good enough for them it's certainly good enough for me. In any event I think that we are all blowing a lot of hot air a when we should be spending more time thinking about and making more images, photographs, pictures da de da de da.............

Now there's a thought, do we take or make a photograph.....says he with a mischevious glint in his eye.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't intend to put words in to your mouth, but I will stand by what I said earlier. It fits your description. You offer a pretense or claim -- 'my pictures are not snap shots' -- by using the word image, which you seem to view as having a better connotation than photo.
    So, Mr. Callow, you see no negative connotation to the word 'pretense'? Most people do, I think.

Mr. Smith, I also know plenty of photographers, all genres, and very few of them fully speak the word 'photograph.' If I were to continually say 'photograph' in conversation with my clients, they'd think I was an art snob.

I'm curious as to whether those who insist on 'photographs' and turn their noses up at the word 'images' also insist on the superiority of the terms 'automobile', 'horseless carriage', 'permanent wave', and 'bathing costume.'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin