Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,877   Online: 932

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I take a "shot" and then I make a photograph. Sometimes I like to say that I "realise" an image on paper - makes me feel like it is not only up to me but SOMEONE else.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Take? Make? Capture!

I'm with Blansky on that one. "Capture" is just obnoxious. You hear it a lot in wildlife photography circles though, because there is an element of "capture" in getting a good image/photograph/shot of a moving subject over which you have no control.

Hey how about "shot"? Sounds violent and unpleasant, no? Do you "click," "snap," "press," "release," or "fire" the shutter?

"Pic"--I can do without that one, as well as its plural, "pix."

I guess you take shots, and every once in a while, one hits.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting discussion, this...

Loosely translated from Norwegian, I feel that I take pictures, make photographs, and sometimes aspire to images.

A picture is a "capture" - the raw image on the film/negative. From this a make a print, which is when I'll consider calling it a photograph. Some of them are good enough that they work as images - but most are not.

A "photo" could be anything - sort of like a generic term for any kind of optical capture recorded on a light-sensitive medium and reproduced on something flattish (paper, CRT, LCD, VDU...).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's semantics! Does it really matter which you use for your circumstances?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I might start calling my negs "pregnants" and the prints "babies"..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LMAO, Sean!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think capture originated with video capture cards. 20 years ago for a couple grand you could buy these cards, plug your VHS, SVHS or Beta into the back of them and 'capture' the video. The cheap ones captured only a frame the good ones could capture a sequence and the really good ones had good play back.

I had one in the mid to late 80's. It had a staggering 2meg's of on board memory and a dedicated CPU. The card would get so hot I would have to blow it with an airhose to keep it cool when ever I used it. It cost about 1,200.00 and could record and display 24bit images at a resolution 512 by 300 and something.

Cheryl, I honestly believe you have mis understood me from the get go. The question you ask "Mr. Callow, you see no negative connotation to the word 'pretense'?" Is not material to what I was saying. Having a word in a sentence that is usually used in a disparaging way does not make the sentence I wrote or its meaning automatically disparaging. Quite the opposite, I was supporting your argument. I will try once more.
    Using the word image because it may give the the listener some guidance as to how to view your work may not be wrong. I didn't use pretense, and I belive it has the same meaning as before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hell I call my Mamiya my baby. Every once in a while she gives birth. does that make me a grandmother?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mr. Callow, I really haven't misunderstood you. I honestly do understand what you're saying. I catch on quick. I simply disliked, and still dislike, the use of the word 'pretense.' Ain't nothin' more to it than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    Mr. Callow, I really haven't misunderstood you. I honestly do understand what you're saying. I catch on quick. I simply disliked, and still dislike, the use of the word 'pretense.' Ain't nothin' more to it than that.
    Your kidding?!

So what you are saying is: 'Mr Callow it isn't enough that you agree with me you have to use words I find acceptable.'

Wow!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin