Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,439   Online: 997

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Seems the digital camp has stopped using the word "photograph" and now uses the word "image". It's all about the "image" not how it's created, the final "image" is what matters, etc. I have to hand it to them "image" does have a nice ring to it, even sounds powerful. Are these terms "photograph" and "image" one in the same? I am not so sure. Personally I want to make traditional photographs, not "images". This thread is brought on by seeing the word "image" a gazillion times in the hybrid photo mags and websites. The new way of using the word "image" seems to be trying to redefine photography, as if photographs are old and dated and "images" are where it's at..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Know why I use the word 'images'?

Because 'photographs' gets shortened to 'photos' which has pretty much the same ring to it as 'snapshot'. I can't use the word 'print' with my clients because it doesn't occur to them that I mean 'photograph'. 'Portrait' is too specific and formal. That leaves me with 'picture' as a last alternative, and ..... no.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I often use the word "image," but if I think about it more carefully, the image is the thing in the mind, and the photograph is the thing in the hand or on the wall.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a wonderful way to put it, David, that is also how I feel. the thing-in-itself is the image, the photograph is just a piece of paper. I SEE and make images all day long. These images often confuse me and sometimes even overpower me, my problem is in the technical, but I am sorting that out.

It's amazing how much my art has come to reflect upon my philosophy.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Image has a sexier connotation, than say picture. It would be dishonest to use the word photograph. I would prefer digital illustration or some other moniker that referenced the digital process. Image shouldn't be owned by digital folk just as it shouldn't be owned by the analogue folk -- it is too big a word.

I never use the word "image" when referring to a photograph. It implies that all the photograph is is an image of what is pictured. An image is not a photograph. Photographs are pictures. Images are not. I am a photographer, or sometimes, a picture-maker. I am not, never was, and never will be an image-maker.

Also, images are what appear on the ground glass. They are not yet photographs.

Those who use the word "image" when they really mean "photograph" are usually indulging (consciously or more often, unconsciously) in pretentious and high-sounding languange.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I see it, a photograph is an image. And so is a serigraph, a block print, and a cave painting. To me, the word image simply means a visual representation of a thing or an idea. It can be totally mental, but it can also be physical. Photograph is a more specific term referring to an image physicalized through a photochemical process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    Those who use the word "image" when they really mean "photograph" are usually indulging (consciously or more often, unconsciously) in pretentious and high-sounding languange.
    I agree sometimes not usually, except in the media and by those who just sold 20 years of film equipment to buy a $3,000 digital postagestamp picturemaker. Using the word image to describe a photograph, although probably not the best choice, is not necessarily pretentious or strictly incorrect.

Websters: Image 1. a representation of a person or thing. 2. the visual impression of something in a mirror, through a lens, etc. 3. copy 4. a) a mental picture; idea b) the concept of a... 5. metaphor or simile...

Definitions 1-3 apply pretty well to a photograph (1,3) or an aspect of the process(2). It is not until you get to 4 and 5 do the definitions begin to address the 'bigger' meaning of image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, come now. I say 'image' and you infer that I am probably indulging in pretentous an high-sounding language? That assumes a bit much, don't you think? They are nearly the same by most definitions, and to insist that 'it' be referred to in one way rather than the other seems a bit uppity to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "An artist's job is to be true to himself/herself. If you want to make an occasional photograph for the sake of commercial value, by all means do so. I cannot anticipate ever doing so. All it would be then is just a job--something just to make money. If Making money were my interest I would do something else. There are a lot better and sure-fire ways to make money than making fine-art photographs." Michael A. Smith, from another discussion.

Now that's pretentious!
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin