Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,540   Online: 1032

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If we limit the comparison to developed nations....

This is not an option if we belong to a civilised world that values the sanctity of life. To say that there are categories for violence which are influenced by how economically developed a culture or country is implies that if one were poor and underprivileged or an ex-colony or third world, etc. that it is somehow related to their situation that they let children starve, or that a tribe machete a rival tribe into oblivion. I believe that ethics transcends economics.

Also I do not see how violent nature is correlated with detaining people. I bet anything that the US is probably the most open nation as regards their detainment of prisoners. This is probably why they are also the world's leading incarcerator. Here is a question for you: are there any Gulags in the United States? It seems to me that we hold the US to a higher moral standard than any other country.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Its laughable that you actually believe that China will disclose to the world the number of people it detains, or holds in Gulags, etc... I love it that you mention a country that in the sixties called exterminating political rivals as a Great Cultural Revolution. This is a joke.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    If we limit the comparison to developed nations I doubt the US would rank in the top half of the least violent as measured by per cap acts O violence.

But, I could be wrong.

One sat that can not be disputed is that the US has been the leader for over a decade amongst all developed nations in per cap incarceration (we passed Russia whilst it was still the USSR).
    Yep we throw them in jails instead of shooting them or cutting them to bits. How dare we be so mean!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yep. I'm wrong and we can't be any better than we are!

God Bless America
    Last edited by mrcallow; 05-23-2004 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Gee Aggie, the last time I looked, there wasn't a developed nation on the planet that cut people to bits.
    Would you call Saudi Arabia developed? They have public beheadings. For more minor offenses, such as theft, Sharia law calls for criminals to lose a hand. I shudder to think about what you lose for adultery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Saudi's are a good one to measure the US by and I ask forgiveness for expecting more.
    Last edited by mrcallow; 05-23-2004 at 03:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree mrcallow. The Saudis and their ways is not the measure. Herein lies the problem in the world - they expect the US to play fair and follow the rules. The rest can just do as they please and saw of heads whenever they please because condemnation is reserved for the US alone. Pathetic! Where I work we manage the good traders not the bad ones. What is the world coming to!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    I The rest can just do as they please and saw of heads whenever they please because condemnation is reserved for the US alone.
    Not all that simple. We *kill* those who we wish to kill ... not by cutting off heads ... but far more mercifully - we light them on fire in electric chairs ... we strap them down and inject poison into their bloodstream. - We have advanced - at least we don't use gas chambers, anymore --- or do we? Come to think of it - we still hang people. I wonder how much difference it makes to those affected....?

The great state of Texas just killed - by lethal injection - a prisoner *certified* to be insane - a paranoid shizophrenic. Certified by State Psychiatrists. Obvious to any Psych student who has passed Abnormal Psych 101... and against the recommendation of the Texas State Parole Board. And why? Because it made a few ... *demented* (truly DEMENTED) people in power "feel" better.

How many prisoners has Sweden executed in the last ten years?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ed, you are my hero. Not only do I agree with you, I truly respect your ability not to over heat (as I do) on these subjects.

I believe we do still gas and the armed forces still have the firing squad as an option.

I could be wrong, but does it matter?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Point taken about the death penalty. Sweden does not have one nor will they ever have one. The worst a convicted child murderer gets is 3 to 5 years (depending on his behaviour in their so-called country club prison establishment). There are other ways to snuff out a person's life than a judge pronouncing the death penalty.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin