Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,644   Online: 1115

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MLK started out as a nobody. His big leap into the lime light came with the Rosa Parks incident. Which I think she should be more recognized for.

as for armchair politicians......WE ALL ARE!

As for dissenting voice, I have been mostly the lone one on this thread, Those that have dissented here either gave up or were run off.

I am not for everything that this administration stands for, nor am i for everything republicans stand for. I am also not for everything that the democrats stand for.

Stereotypes of only the poor are incarcerated, and only the poor are taking the illegal drugs is just that. It is across all stratas. I get just as sick seeing someone who is famous get off with a slap on the wrist.

Who exactly are the rich in this country? I sure as hell would like to be in that group someday. Even if it was just to say I had been there once. Why are people stuck in the various income designations? Why are poor kept poor? What is it that would elevate the poor out of their circumstances? What exactly can be done?

As for saying run for office why not? Don't we have the right to run for office if we choose to do so? I made that statement so that if someone and I didn't designate a specific person, wants to make changes, is that not a way to do it? If nothing can be done, why even debate it and why even try by voting?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The question of being rich and having power is probaby more prevalent in countries like the Philippines, Malaysia, some African countries etc. than it will ever be in the United States. I lived in the Philippines during the whole of Ferdinand Marcos' reign and Americans have no idea what true abuse of power really is. Secondly, insurance fraud, accounting fraud, illegal business practices gets punished much more heavily in the US than in Sweden or Italy or the UK. In fact, there are many examples of businessmen in Sweden destroying a company via illegal practices and getting a huge bonus for it (e.g. include the CEO of Nordbanken (Barneus), Skandia Insurance, etc.).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who are these wealthy people who are vitimizing the poor? Who are the poor unless a minority is automatically classified as poor. By IRS standards most of us here would be classified as wealthy. I sure as hell have never victimized anyone. Yet by Government standards I am wealthy. I just wish I could keep some of that wealth rather than buy food, pay rent, try to save for retirement, transportation costs for hubby just to get to work, (He commutes via BART) INSURANCE, oh yeah and my meds. You all wouldn't want me to forget my meds now would you? Hmm after that not much left. I know my bank book is the poor one I victimize. I must put some more money in it. (I wish)

So by your terms the general population of the USA so long as they are white are vicitmizing minorities? What exactly are we white people doing?

Franceso. You should see what Chavez in Venezuela is doing to the people there. Similar to what Marcos did.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I hear ya Aggie. I am all for diplomacy in dealing with these abuses - what I like to call abuses on a massive scale. Granted you have abuses everywhere, the US being a place where loads are perpetuated. But never in a scale that encompasses the whole country, and generations after. The pros and cons of the death penalty in Texas, etc. pales in comparison to what these people have done to their countrymen over the years and decades. Bordering on genocide. The US in their meddling helped keep Marcos in power but at the very end they also helped to kick him out. It is something no one in the Philippines publicly appreciates. Is the world a global village, are we all neighbours? How long should one wait before diplomacy is replaced with force? The UN never helped the Philippines during their hour of need. Ultimately the people of that country took it upon themselves to kick out a dictator. Fortunately the US put enough pressure on Marcos to leave instead of bombing the crowds (I was there in the streets so I saw this first hand). They helped him escape but that means to me that they helped prevent a massacre. As they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Probably a journalist said that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chavez in Venzuela? Sounds like a Fox News/State Dep't target. Wonder why? Could it be because Venezuela is a major oil producer whose leader is antagonistic to the oil companies. If you want to understand the US Gov't foreign policy from Afganistan, Iraq to Venezuela, follow the oil slick.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well if we are going to use historical data then I suppose one can argue that all races at one time or another have perpetuated some form of genocide. However let me clear up what your position is as it seems to me from your posts. Are you saying that the US is no better a nation (or regime) than that of Taliban Afghanistan or North Korea or The Sudan etc.? Are you saying that it is just as evil (this was I believe the original reason for my involvement in this thread - i.e. the question of evil)? I do not believe the US is perfect by a long shot (my view is not skewed in this regard, heck I am not even an American) BUT RELATIVE to what we see all over the world I do not subscribe to the view that it is as evil as these countries. If that is your view then just like the Philosophy of Religion one can argue either case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.cdc.state.ca.us/Communica...ts_figures.asp

seems 29% of the males in prision in California are white, but 29% are black. what is more surprising is 36% are hispanic. what does this show when compared to the break down of ethnaticity of the state? Shows comperable numbers. As fgor drug offenses it was only 23% of the offenses committed. Now that would mean if only black males commited the drug offenses they still would have had 6% doing other types of crimes. Now reality is the drug abuses were across the board to all cultures. Call the peopl listed in the website and find out more.

As for life sentences connected with drug crimes, In California it is a three strike law before that goes into effect. If caught dealing (let me say that again, DEALING ) that means selling or trafficing in illegal drugs, then you will receive the punishment of life. Parole is still a possibility.

As for Chavez in Venezuela, the US is keeping it's distance in that government. the only time it helps that governement is when there is a natural (IE flood, earthquake etc.) that occurs. How do I know? Well son in law moved here after spending 9 years working in the US embassy there. His family btw is Venezuelen.

As for jdef's last post, I agree. Only problem with it is real world. Communisim in in it's pure form is a wonderful ideal. It has never been practiced in it's pure form. To force individuals to conform to it, is a form of censorship . There is no good solution.

I am wholly against the patriot act. Yes we need security, not at the expense of our freedoms. We should look Back to an Idaho senator named Frank Church and his dismantling of the intelligence community as a link to the current problems. We should look outward, not at our own people. My favorite quote is, "We have met the enemy, and they is us!" Pogo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using your stats, 19.52% were crimes drug related of which a small portion were for marajuana. that is about 1/5th of the crimes commited. So how can it be that the crimes blacks are in prison for were just drugs? 53.71 % were for just robbery/buglery. The rest for mostly violent crimes. That year there was 28.6% whites in the prisons. 29.9% were blacks in the prisons. It also stated by the year 2003 over 230,000 would be in cal prisons.

I used the current 2004 stats. where blacks had gone down .9% of those in prison. and whites had increased .4%. As for the numbers in prison today it is not close to 230,000 but nearer 160,000.

2 years ago and I am not sepnding the time to find the exact article, the San Francisco Chronicle reported that numbers of hispanics in the state had eclipsed the numbers of whites. that in proportion the number of whites (lots have left the state) is going down drastically while other minorities are increasing.

What about the Asians? they are underpresented in the prisons. There is one really big group that is not represented equally in the prisons and it is on all three links (all of which go back to the CDC) Surprised you are not talking about that inequity? Seems women are not incarcerated as much in fact less than 10% are those in prison.

NOW THE BIG QUESTION IS WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH A THREAD ABOUT CENSORSHIP OF THE ARTS?

Since so far these governemnts have been deemed evil: Nazism, fascism, communism, and republicans. What form of government is left that does not have problems? Also all religion has been deemed evil so we can't seek out devine guidance. Whites are evil, and especially if they are wealthy (which has nothing to do with monitary worth) Is there anything left that is good? Is there anything left that makes most in this thread happy? Not going to respond to this thread any longer. I am going in search of my smile.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin