Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,790   Online: 1120

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can all disagree with me, but I will say this anyway. (as if I ever hold back from talking)

This forum for those that speak up, conservative politics is evil in most (that is not saying all) peoples minds. As for if you dare to be a republican you are more evil than satan. What ever happened to a debate that didn't digenerate into name calling? What ever happened to freedom of speech ? Well it is alive and well and being run off. Talk about censorship!
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    You can all disagree with me, but I will say this anyway. (as if I ever hold back from talking)

This forum for those that speak up, conservative politics is evil in most (that is not saying all) peoples minds. As for if you dare to be a republican you are more evil than satan. What ever happened to a debate that didn't digenerate into name calling? What ever happened to freedom of speech ? Well it is alive and well and being run off. Talk about censorship!
    Well, I don't think you are evil.

Tom wrote:

There is nothing incompatible between religion and humanity. The religious impulse is man's highest call to realize his potential

Or is it his spiritual impulse? Big difference.

I'll close with this, as Christopher Burkett, the photograper (see, Sean, I'm back on topic!) of magnificent 8x10 color landscapes said that people are very uncomfortable with his artist's statement because he credits God as his motivation to photograph. I don't mind making people uncomfortable, especially secular humanists
    You pre-suppose that secular humanists don't believe in God. Incorrect, a lot of us do, we just don't believe in religions and the dogma attached to them.

Later,

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Aggie wrote:

As for if you dare to be a republican you are more evil than satan.
    Aggie we don't hate the sinner, we just hate the sin.

We are just trying to help you see the errors of your ways. We have great hope for you. We think you can perhaps absolve yourself of those dreadful people and come back into the fold.

We wait with open arms.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    I think you're trying to create a freedom vs. religion comparison when one has nothing to do with the other. "Christians are not free to believe that Jesus was not the son of god..." Why would you want to, if you're a Christian?
    The consensus at the Jesus Seminar was that Jesus did not perform miracles (i.e. he was an ordinary man). Hypotheses past this majority opinion range from Jesus as a fictional character, Jesus as the conglomeration of many ordinary men, Jesus as an ordinary man who walked the life of an apocolyptic visionary, and many more. This Seminar included many Christians.

For more information about a historical Jesus (both for and against) look at books by:

G. A. Wells, Earl Doherty, Hyam Maccoby, Lee Strobel, and Josh McDowell

*edited to correct the link
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Frontline had an interesting show on Jesus. It can be found on the web here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now how do I put this the best way? Father helped put many DEMOCRATs into office, aunt was the state democratic leader of Utah. Another aunt was very infamous in the state as a democrat (heaven forbid she was the state liquor commissioner). Another uncle was of all things a senator who was a democrat. (not from Utah) I was a page at the 68 democratic convention. But you know what? I found I didn't like a lot of what I saw. I do not vote for Republicans or Democrats. I vote for the best person who I deem to have the same views on an issue as I do. I look at all sides of it, I find out what is really going on. Then vote that way. As for coming back into the fold? hell no, I want more freedom than that. I like to think for myself. If a democrat is best suited I vote for them. If a Republican is best suited I vote for them. If a tree hugger is best suited I vote for them. It depends on the issue at hand. I do not like the knee jerk two step that infects most politics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hear, hear, aggie!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Callow, thanks for the link! I bookmarked it to check later. I have a feeling though, that many of the theories suggested in the program will be middle-of-the-road theories that appease the audience. There will probably be no staunch fundamentalist theories nor fictional Jesus hypotheses as this would piss of the audience, who would turn off their televisions and not see the ads, which will piss off those who paid for the ads, and Frontline would lose lots of revenue and make less of a profit--therefore they will try to appease. Hopefully I am mistaken and they at the issue from all angles.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Callow, thanks for the link! I bookmarked it to check later. I have a feeling though, that many of the theories suggested in the program will be middle-of-the-road theories that appease the audience. There will probably be no staunch fundamentalist theories nor fictional Jesus hypotheses as this would piss of the audience, who would turn off their televisions and not see the ads, which will piss off those who paid for the ads, and Frontline would lose lots of revenue and make less of a profit--therefore they will try to appease. Hopefully I am mistaken and they at the issue from all angles.
    Frontline is a PBS program and therefore doesn't suffer from the the self imposed restraint you refer to. It is actually considered one of if not the best news magazine of its kind (20/20, dateline 60min being the commercial variants).

This program focuses on early Christiondom and touches upon the gnostics (some great links too), the politics, people etc...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin