Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,578   Online: 929

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any bi-partisan system is immediate degeneration. As soon as you divide people into sides, dogma begins to take over and reason goes out the window. I am fairly liberal, but I do not call myself "a liberal." While I oppose a lot of conservative policy, I am not intrinsically against conservatism or conservatives. I refuse to register under either the Republican or Democratic parties. Remember that saying that a nation divided against itself cannot stand? This is manifested in politics every single day in the United States. We are falling down, and fast.

Anyhow, at least we got some discussion going, right?

And now a slightly controversial comment from yours truly that I cannot for the life of me remember where I heard originally (probably a bumper sticker): freedom is not something any government can give - it can only take it away. If we do not actively oppose censorship and demand that our freedoms remain, they will be (and are being) impinged upon, reduced, and eventually removed. Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly. They're all under attack, and censorship applies to all of them in both artistic and and non-artistic ways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just read a great quote applicable to most political discussions:

'Truths are split into half-truths in order to sharpen their edges'

Hegel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Heh. Figures that one of my least favorite philosophers (the translations I've read, anyway) would say something cool like that.

I moved this incredible insight over to the Iraq section.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Callow, I think the Frontline on Jesus that you missed was this (current) one

Or maybe it was this other news item.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    (MR)Callow, I think the Frontline on Jesus that you missed was this (current) one

Or maybe it was this other news item.
    I did miss the frontline "Jesus Factor" story, but wil try to catch it on the 20th. The Guardian article is really something.

I got my "Bush/Jesus '04' bumper sticker on order -- That should keep Ashcroft out of my trash bins for week or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is really silly to think that there is a huge or even moderate difference between the two parties. It is all about money and power. Democrats have a habit of suddenly moving to the right of issues when an election draws near or they need the support of certain groups or corporations. Republican cadidiates do the same thing. it is all about catering to the "swing" voters.

Lo and behold, many democrats who have been opposed to censorship in a variety of areas support the increase in FCC fines and regulations on radio and television broadcasters. Nothing like taking a principled stand when the majority of the people favor tightening of the regs.

Democrats can talk up limiting free trade or trying to stop the flow of jobs and capital from the US to overseas. What they know and don't want the people to know is that if there is a demand for a product someone overseas will produce it and the company here that can't control costs will go out of business.

Republicans can support and legislate massive tax cuts, but what they don't go into detail about is that the tax cut will be mostly offset by state and local tax increases on income, services and property.

I have a very hard time believing that Senators such as Ted Kennedy or Jesse Helms (when he was still there) cared as much about the people as they do about keeping thier Senate seats. if any senator reaches out to the other side in even a minute effort at bi-partisanship he is denounced by his colegues and the media. John McCain and certain more conservative dems come to mind.

So it may be fun to think of ourselves as Liberals and Conservatives, and in a very few cases those labels actually mean something. But overall what we think or want really means very little.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

jdef wrote:

Sometimes I think that we, as a nation would be wiser to just alternate parties with each term
    I not sure on this but don't we almost do that now. There are a few exceptions of two terms, but doesn't the pendulum swing pretty much back and forth.

Just asking.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff that is exactly the same kind of dogma spouted by many in the classes I took getting a poly sci degree. Lets just package it all in a neat little bundle of words to sound good if you on one side and bad if you are on the other. Neither of the parties has a hold on what is good or fills the needs of the individual. Neither has a hold on what will make you rich. I stopped going the way my family wanted me to go, and decided a politcal life was shit. I've seen the behind the scenes deals and the real rhetoric that the public doesn't hear about. Talk about censorship of information. I've known the coverups that have occured and all the nice platitudes while lying through their teeth. No politics is not this neat little package that you can say this is how it is. It comes down to (not all) a majority of people who get into the political end of running at lest this country feel the power and the greed that can enhance their self image. When someone lets power go to their head, they oft times do not think of the voters that got them there. They think of only their agenda and feed back to the voters what ever they think the voters want to hear. It's the deals that get made it is the power that is earned by longevity in office, it is a whole lot of crap. I wish now I had come forward and had my own aunt take responsibility for actions she was blatantly guilty of. I on the other hand hid and kept my mouth shut since it would hurt the DEMOCRATIC party to have her ousted. No politics is not a nice neat little walk in a pretty little park. It is a dirty filthy backstabbing cruel offensive bundle of lies to keep voters voting for people if they knew the deals would never asscoiate with those people. IT is both sides!
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    The Republican strategy is to back the few with the most power and wealth, and hope that they return the favor at election time, while the Democrats strive to appeal to the masses and hope that one vote really counts. .
    I forget who said it but I do remember someone once saying that the two party system is simply a device of gevernment to keep the people at each others throats.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin