Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,998   Online: 805

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "I don't know why its such a revelation that our founding fathers did not trust democracy..."

Its no real revelation. But the point is that the Constitution and all the articles that set up our nation were originally drawn up to support a Republic and, as far as I know, have never been ammended to make us a Democray. I would also disagree with the idea that we are moving toward a Democracy. If anything, we are becoming more of a Republic where the aristocracy/corporations/politicians hold all the real power.

mxtroxwell wrote

Republic: A state in which the sovereign power resides in the whole body of the people, and is exercised by representatives elected by them; a commonwealth.

Democracy: Government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is retained and directly exercised by the people.
    Again, as a poor immigrant, could you explain the differences or the nuances of the differences between the two.

Thanks

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first (Republican form) is representative democracy. You elect a person to make the laws for you. We call this person a politician, and they are supposed to represent the interests of the group of people who elective body that gave them their position. They are supposed to save the rest of us the time and trouble of voting and deciding every single issue.

The second is a direct democracy. Everyone votes on everything. California style initiatives fall in this category.

-The only form of government worse than a democracy is all the rest.

----Winston Churchill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Republic: a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law. The Latin origin is respublica,or res=wealth + publica. It suggests a governmental unit (nation) wherein a limited citizenship (plutocracy) governs thru representatives.

Democracy: a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections. The idea was espoused by Athenians wherein the people (males - not slaves nor women) enacted laws & initiated actions, and took resposibility for their enforcement/implmentation.

Democracy is human species finest political creation, but it is a struggle to make it work.
    A Republic: except for Plato & his aristocratic followers then & now, who would claim rule by the wealthy as mankind's greatest achievement?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Pardon my ignorance but I'm having trouble seeing the real differences.

I had always thought that his country as well as Canada, Britain and many other, were a democracy where the people elected people to express our viewpoint in the legislative forum.

As Canada is a parliamentary system, which is probably to easier to decifer, but the differences between the US and Canada are not really that far apart. Or so I thought.

In neither country do the citizens vote for every single bill introduced but we have our representatives do it in our name. We do occasionally have a plebicite, or a referendum where everyone votes on it, but that is relatively rare except in municipal or provincial elections.

Every person I have ever heard including Presidents, and others have always called this country a democracy. So I'm new to this idea that it is not.

If possible please clarify.

Thanks

Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The United States touts itself as the word's greatest democracy. I see it as the world's greatest authoritarian state posing as a democracy. The system we have now is not democratic, despite certain institutions that might suggest otherwise.

I suggest Philip Slater's A Dream Deferred for some interesting reading to this end.

Images
    Here is the way I understand it

The united states is a democratic republic. In theory the best of both worlds. In reality I do not know. As a citizen your vote counts toward the election of your senators and representatives, who are then to act as your voice in matters regarding national concern. The electoral college chooses the president. They are supposed to cast their vote based on the will of the people. I can't remember what decides how many votes a state has but different states carry different weight. In theory the electoral college does not have to cast their vote in the same direction as the people. I can't think of a time when that might have happened.

We are a democracy because our vote elects the people who govern us. We are a republic because the government does not have to ask our permission when something needs to be done. By casting our vote we place trust in that person. At least the majority who elected them trust them.

The founding fathers realized really freaken quick that if anything was going to get done in a timely manner the few should make the dicisions for the majority. But in order to choose the few they instituted the one man one vote. Granted at the time it was one property holding man one vote but being the grumpy and stubborn nation we are the people realized that it was just the few making the dicisions and that is were the push for voting rights for all americans comes about.

Canada, the US, and the UK should look a lot alike because the system is very similar. Though the UK and Canadian parliments are much more enrgetic and fun to watch.

There is my babble
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark has it pretty much on the nose, the term for our version of democracy is "Representative Democracy" not "Democratic Republic." Although, the US is a republic.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just the facts- (this is not a partisan comment) (no, really :wink: ))...

In practice, the electoral college, which distinguishes our election system from a "pure" democracy, has tended to favor more conservative politicians/platforms in recent years. The pure majority of votes tends to be concentrated in the urban centers on the East and West coasts.
    If "pure" majority was the deciding factor, the values and opinions of "middle America" or "the Heartland" would have MUCH less weight- (hence Al Gore in 2000 harping about having won the majority of votes- he did).

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, just an observation-

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin