Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,048   Online: 905

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    twitter.com lol

there is no green in trends I consider it a trend
    movements are for those wanting to move true green environmentalism has always been
    I think what Twitter, facebook, and cell phone photos really allow is uninterrupted social banter.

I like the line from Jimmy Buffet that I think says "Why don't you text me with your master plan". That pretty well sums it up for me. There's little thought, it's just noise that keeps tweeters from feeling alone. A tweet's or text's or cell phone snap shot's only real significance is that regardless of what is sent, the message says, "I like your company/companionship". It's a social thing, not a "significant" thing; background noise if you will.

The environmental movement and photography compete for time in that banter.

"normal hurry-up trend"
    which is it
    normal or a trend
    I'm not so sure myself
    I'm inclined to believe it's actually a trend
    I think people WANT TO APPEAR busy and the easiest way to do so is say that you are
    The real dangerous people are those actually filling up their day with whatevers to be constantly busy

and I think it's terrible that many people who still consider themselves to be of the unbusy are beginning to believe they're doing something wrong
    and wanting to move
    Thought and observation take time and don't require much motion.

Why is a 2.5 hour meal special?
    I cannot think of any reason
    Seems trendy
    a slow movement
    First, it's old school social "twitter". 2.5 hours flirting with my girl.

Second, it takes less food; I might lose a couple pounds.

Rickshaws are great for those not wanting to move on their own and the rickshaw operator lives off of em
    if the operator can walk and haul how lazy are you wanting to just sit there
    who experiences life
    who respects it
    You cannot be green nor an environmentalist if you decide to sit
    There is truth in your metaphor. In my mind though hiring a Rickshaw beats hiring a taxi. They are both personal luxuries, like photography.

One thought that I've had about analog is it's green in the electrical sense and the fact that the hardware is nearly the antithesis of planned obsolescence and the modern economic model.

"because it isn't normal"
    Who says normalcy isn't special
    seems life has lived for an awfully long time to get to this point and all of a sudden it needs to be SpEcIaLL
    Sounds like ADD
    I agree, also consumerism run amok.

cossack asparagus cattails don't taste like anything
    I eat them right out of the muck
    your cattail bread is just bread from cattail flour
    not saying flour isn't special
    but cattail flour isn't any more special
    it's only different
    It turns the bread into a gourmet item, raises the perceived value.

Film fits because we've made room for it
    Stop making room and it doesn't not always a bad thing to stop making room but sometimes what you give up can be your undoing
    This is the crux of my question.

How can we help make analog photography more important in everybody's social world?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    mark: meal sounds like it was delish! I'm more of a 'meat and potatoes' kind o' guy, but thats just me
    I'm not a vegetarian but the older I get the more I'm sliding that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of the "green" movement, but I can see where recycling and cleaning up of one's environment, with less pesticides and chemicals in our foods can be a good thing, to a point. I'm glad my drinking water is fluorinated, I've been to some places where it isn't, and it isn't always white shiny smiles

-Dan
    Being "Green" doesn't necessarily mean staying in the dark ages or going back to the farm.

Being green is about being smart. Here's an interesting example http://www.ted.com/talks/stewart_bra..._heresies.html

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    At our gallery we sell very few digital prints, but a lot of analog prints. We are getting known for carrying them.

In my opinion, analog prints have much more depth than digital.We sell more B/W than Ilfochromes, but the depth and brightness of the Ilfochromes blow a lot of people out of the water. They have never seen one
    This is one great example of success, we can build on this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Side note - Just for giggles I tried this pace again today with more normal rations while I was working around the house and ate half my normal portions and felt very satisfied.
    In the UK there is a TV hypnotist named Paul McKenna. He has written various self help books e.g. for people wanting to diet or give up smoking, etc. These come with hynosis CDs to listen to.

The diet book is based on just three simple ideas: 1. Eat what you want; 2. Only eat when you are hungry; 3. Stop eating when you are full.

The problem now is that we tend to eat to quickly and we don't notice the signals our bodies are sending out telling us we are full. Also many of us may have grown up with a waste not, want not attitude encouraging us to finish what is on our plates.

The book suggests eating slowly, even putting down the fork between mouthfuls as this makes it easier to sense when we are full.

I am not surprised that you were satisfied on half rations when eaten slowly like this.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Thanks Mark. I lived in Montrose for five years, and used to take the kids to Durango all the time. I think its time to visit again.

Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mark, I think what you described for your meal sounds like a "fine dining" experience opposed to the cookie cutter places. Your correlation makes sense to me. As far as social trends/changes going forward here are some recnet thoughts I have had.
    I think that environmental conscience and concern springs from economic prosperity...Countries that have good economies seem to have environmental consciences becuase they have desposable income and time. Third world countries and politically opressive countries make it so difficult for the people to eek out a living that things like the environment, charity etc. are bypassed by trying to make ends meet. I have been fortunate enough to travel in many "third World" countries and it seems to be a universal truth. Poor economies equal poor social conscience.
    As our government becomes more oppresive and evasive I think we will see a decline in our social conscience as well. This is just my opinion and observations.

Many of us love film because it forces us to "regress" and do for ourselves what the modenization of our world steals. I have often longed for the return to a slower time with the advances in the important things like medicine still moving forward..
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If "poor people" have a poor environmental awareness why is that this green movement and local food and all this essentially tries to turn back the clock to simpler times ..poorer times
    i don't know, man
    "to "regress" and do for ourselves what the modenization of our world steals. I have often longed for the return to a slower time with the advances in the important things"

I thought you just said "environmental conscience and concern springs from economic prosperity"

The shakers quakers amish and indians and whomever else probably give of themselves more than some hollywood actor at the soup kitchen
    Soup feeds for a day
    a barn can provide for a lifetime
    one ladles food
    another hammers and lifts and plows

I would say the richer you are the guiltier you may feel and this is why you try to save some face by appearing to care through your actions
    If you're rich cause you hunted whales and suddenly you notice there are no more whales to hunt the efforts made in trying to restore the population do not make you an environmentalist
    The person buying the whale products who notices the same is not an environmentalist either

Getting rid of all your appliances in order to save energy with new ones does not make you an environmentalist
    A hydrogen car isn't green if you buy 4 of them

Eat what you want
    do not overeat

To me, that's stewardship

overeating is not just not eating beyond fullness but consuming more than you need
    you don't need to be full to do nothing
    Some may say this IS the same thing but I'd bet that eating more than is needed leads to a more permissive culture which leads to eventual overeating -fullness- and obesity ..mindlessness

"Also many of us may have grown up with a waste not, want not attitude encouraging us to finish what is on our plates"

I believe this to be just a perversion of meaning
    parents worried about wasted money more than wasted food
    to eat everything you're given would be total destruction
    -The world has provided ALL we eat ..we don't go out and eat it all just because it's "on our plate"-
    Don't WASTE what has been provided
    Waste does not -only- mean to leave behind to spoil what has been provided but to not take into account future use
    overconsumption of resources whatever they may be
    "Wise use of one's resources will keep one from poverty" is IMO the way to read the verse
    "For want is nexte to waste, and shame doeth synne"
    "willful waste makes woeful want"
    "he will waste nothing; but he must want nothing."

people always want to play to the letter of the law only and forget/deny whatever the "spirit of judiciousness"
    its the loopholes people love

Electronic gadget that gives me ripped abs with no effort! Gastric bypass!
    I only ate everything on my plate! ...your plate was a satellite dish
    its a loophole we've created
    if you have ate too much you can destroy the evidence without incriminating yourself by doing physical activity
    Nobody believes it's going to work
    They still buy
    It's a lottery ticket

The Green movement
    and ALL "movements"
    are gastric bypass equivalents

"perceived value" -no comment needed
    "2.5 hours flirting with my girl." ..you need to eat while doing so?
    "it takes less" no comment needed
    "In my mind though hiring a Rickshaw beats hiring a taxi." How? the only real difference is cost
    saying the rickshaw doesn't emit greenhouse or etc is a loophole. The truth is that you can walk but instead make someone else expend more of their own energy to make up for "your" laziness
    It's not green in the strictest sense
    you can never achieve TRUE "green Leed Platinum status" if you constantly create loopholes
    that's a mere facade
    "They are both personal luxuries, like photography." I'm not saying you cannot enjoy some luxurious things
    I'm saying look at what WAS luxurious and look at what is NOW
    At some point someone in the future will be able to say not having to breathe on ones own is a personal luxury
    seriously
    Everything we have is luxurious already

"One thought that I've had about analog is it's green in the electrical sense and the fact that the hardware is nearly the antithesis of planned obsolescence and the modern economic model."

Film can not be considered green
    any consumable cannot be considered green
    Digital is probably much more green than film photography
    digital cameras need to be manufactured but film cameras had to be as well
    memory cards are free after initial costs
    digital electronics/computers are certainly not green but they're not much less in comparison
    planned obsolescence is what the consumer has created!!
    YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY A NEW CAMERA BECAUSE THEY MARKET ONE
    Stop buying and they may listen and stop planning on it
    Consumers are buying more luxuries
    6mp then 10mp now 22mp
    Joe Blow doesn't need that
    Joe blow is wasting resources if they purchase one
    documenting a beach cleanup or photographing flowers with mo betta realness one doesn't make him an environmentalist
    It makes him confused

"How can we help make analog photography more important.."
    You don't really
    You just do what you do and "keep it clean"
    if actions speak louder than words doing what you do is all you can do

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lots of Idealization, Romanticization too, lots of subjectivity, religion, and illogical bias ;-) For permanence, shoot digital or scan your negatives. That binary representation of your picture can last centuries longer then film, a print. Digital capture is just as physical as silver halide capture; either you're affecting pixels or silver halide grain BOTH physical menifestation. There can be, and often is a process when mastering a digital picture, and often it can take a lot of time depending; as is the case with the wet process. So if you love the slow process, film and digital can give that to you.

I shoot film, and prefer film because I like the look. I couldn't care less about the developmental process of my rolls of film. Sure I like doing it and it's a lot of fun, but that is an aside at best; not the prime directive...so why lose site of the prime directive? It's the picture!

I think when the process becomes more important then the prime directive, one needs to step back and re-evaluate why they do what they do.

Too much about the journey, and not enough about the reward.

It's the picture, stupid! ;-)

The process of fine dining with one's sweetheart, before dinner drinks, chit chat, verbal foreplay, the several courses is not a good analogy of the picture making process, IMHO. In the former, the prime directive is to enjoy one's company, to woo, to exchange good feelings, and in fact, the process is the intended result, the reward....with the latter, it's about the picture.
    Last edited by SilverGlow; 02-15-2010 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, my Endocrinologist would like me to be a vegetarian! But if I did that on a regular basis I wouldn't have had the Buffalo burgers at Goldfield. The problem I see is how invasive digital is in my life, I start with an iPhone then get software and buy songs and more software and look at a new computer and scanner and printer and more conversion software so I can convert movies of my favorite photo DVDs to MP4 so I can waste more time reviewing them on my little phone window. But there are some good apps like lightmeter and the massive dev. chart and GPS and flicker and Utube and Mobile photoshop, and back to the printer and software, it's so invasive.

My Kodak 2D and Seneca cameras and the Calumet's and RB's and Nikon's don't ask for more software, they just want a good supply of good old fashion film. There is no question about it digital is here to stay, this site and all of the interaction I do here is a result of the movement. Film is crying to stay in my life, I never regret having to buy film and I hope it doesn't come down the antique car that sits in the garage and is taken out rarely just for kicks. I haven't bought a digital camera since the Sony Mavica 500 disk camera came out. I'm making plenty of room for how film fits into my life and learning to cope with digital.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    The process of fine dining with one's sweetheart, before dinner drinks, chit chat, verbal foreplay, the several courses is not a good analogy of the picture making process, IMHO. In the former, the prime directive is to enjoy one's company, to woo, to exchange good feelings, and in fact, the process is the intended result, the reward....with the latter, it's about the picture.
    It may not be a good analogy for you, but not for me. It's only just about the picture from the viewers perspective.

What's wrong with photography being a pass-time?

So I may spend days or weeks in prep, hours of driving, hiking while lugging a 4x5 , and the first climax is over in 1/50th of a second. Then drag it all home and develop the film and then make 5 practice prints over two days before, bam, with a 30 second exposure and 5 minutes in the messy stuff I'm satisfied?

If the journey isn't a significant part of the fun, it's a job.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin