Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,393   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Too Many Photographers

With every cell phone around these days with cameras attached to them (with more and higher quality ones to come), and the drop in price (and increase in features and convenience) of digital photography, are people worried that there will soon be an "unfavorable" ratio of amateur to professional photographers? Will these changes coupled with an increasing ease to take good photographs have a negative impact on professional photographers? Or is the fact that more and more people are into photography a good thing for the professional photographer?

Images
    I have never felt that poor quality mom and pop snapshots have taken away from my commercial or art photography, only reinforced the quality of it.
    hi!

But with access to decent digital cameras, for instance, like the Nikon 5700, amateur photographers can produce some decent looking shots... Do you not feel that those people are putting negative pressure on professional photographers, or is that a good thing... to force us to continually improve and make ourselves better?

Shooter
    Large Format
    decent for what? For snap shots, etc. Sure the digital phones and low end cameras are great, for paying jobs the equipment is far out of the reach of most people. As I said in another thread, I recently had the opportunity to see some awesome piezo prints as well as some very good color ink jet prints. When I inquired about the cost of the equipment I was amazed at the price tag. If the final goal is prints for sale then digital has a long way to go. If the goal is a digital file for publication then digital rules, but then the files required for this are only available in the high end cameras. Sorry but I am sure as hell not paying $10,000 for one of the new digital slrs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebassman
    But with access to decent digital cameras, for instance, like the Nikon 5700, amateur photographers can produce some decent looking shots... Do you not feel that those people are putting negative pressure on professional photographers, or is that a good thing... to force us to continually improve and make ourselves better?
    I think most people on this board are after something a tad better than "decent"
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, I never worry about that.

It's NOT about the camera. Is great cooking the direct result of buying the most expensive pans? Does buying an expensive piano/keyboard make me a great pianist?

It's NOT about the camera. It's about the person behind it: their eye, their sensibilities, their ability to communicate. Their experiences and their willingness / ability to see what other people don't.

If it was about the camera, those poor 'masters of photography' would have been forgotten long ago with the launch of the latest-and-greatest, feature-laden cameras. Those features are generally great for those who are happy letting the camera think for them. I can't see how that relates to getting better images?

Obviously digital cameras have a ways to go... but they are getting there, and they're getting cheaper and more accessable. Do you disagree?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the increased interest in 'imagery' that has come about with the increasing availability of cheap equipment is good for the industry. Sure we'll see more bad images out there for a while, but don't forget digital is in its infancy at the moment and as such people are making allowances for the plethora of poor quality images around. This will change.

Cheryl is so right. As the equipment comes up to speed with the capabilities of film (and that may or may not be a long way off - doesn't matter) then the punter will learn the true realization that good photography is not about the equipment. Then there should be fewer people around thinking "I could have taken that, if only I had that camera". This is all good.

Great post, John... well thought out. I feel the same way, myself. Then there should be fewer people around thinking "I could have taken that, if only I had that camera".
    Exactly... A lot of people think this is the beginning of the end for a lot of professional photographers, but I prefer to think of it more as a transitional period for us. Sure, for the next little while, there will be more people that use Uncle Jim to take some shots, but they always come running back to the real thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    but don't forget digital is in its infancy at the moment and as such people are making allowances for the plethora of poor quality images around. This will change.
    IMO this is no longer true. We have been hearing this for the last 8 to 10 years, back then it might have been true, but no longer. Although the equipment is still too expensive compared to analog, the quality is there already. I suspect people doing crappy work in digital were doing crappy work with analog and got conned into digital because it was "easier" or had more "control"...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin