Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,689   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    Very nice. I teach 6th grade. You have done a nice job capturing the inbetween girlhood and womanhood stage. This age was described in one thing I read as lolita one minute, baby five minutes later, and all ages inbetween are seen in the minutes between.

Just a question on the shot. Is the black dirt looking stuff, between her feet, in the original?

A beautiful portrait of a striking little girl.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Mark. Yes, dirt, and yep, on the original. On the larger print, you can see that the entire cushion is dirty. Just the way I like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fantastic. You are officially among my role models now. There's much I can (and do) learn from you. You ever think of writing a column for a magazine or anything like that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wow cheryl:

you really know how to capture their soul

great work!

- john

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Cheryl for sharing your awareness. Your post brought me some tears. A mixture of sadness with a deep inner joy. I don't know how to explain it. I feel identified with both the young girl and her fears, and you with your awareness that it is not our bodies or our personalities but something deeper and far more interesting and lasting than that. Our beings, perfect with their imperfections. So unique rich and valuable. I work every day on letting go of the restrictions of my personality so I can experience myself in a much deeper and meaningful way. I feel Alexandra will find her way too.
    Thanks again for showing us.

PS: I wonder how she would feel if she read all this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well, if you weren't a photographer of children you'd make a helluva teacher of them. when the best teachers are asked what they teach, the answer is never math, science or music, it's, "kids!" moving story (with, yes i confess, some tears...) and a marvelous lesson.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wonderful inspiring story Cheryl.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've always marvelled at 'people' photographs. No, perhaps that's not it. I think what really impresses me are the people that understand how to photograph people.

To have the ability to get people to open up is a precious gift, one that I don't think I have. 'Course, I've never really tried, but I don't think I have the personality that would allow me to get into the mode required to photograph people.

I think that's why I photograph the exclusion of people. As long as their ain't no people, it's a scene to be photographed :rolleyes:

I know I've mentioned his name before (and more than once), but Ray McSavaney makes some wonderful photographs of people from the LA area. Simply stunning stuff. Seeing his photographs, and seeing the work that Cheryl does is almost enough to get me to setup my tripod and 4x5 downtown...

I just may give it a try.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cheryl, what you wrote is exactly true.

"...It's about taking the time to help people feel their own beauty and uniqueness. It's about taking the time to find that connection and exchanging little pieces of yourselves. It's about..... taking the time.

And I'll say it again -- it's not about what they look like, but who they are..."

Your work is an inspiration. I wish we could have you on our Heart Gallery Project.
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you, all, for commenting. I always love what I do, but there are moments every so often that I feel were sent just to make me appreciate the opportunities that come with this "job". I'm glad you don't mind my sharing them.

And, Dave, thanks for that compliment. I'm not sure I'm qualified, but you made me smile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin