Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,009   Online: 685

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Thread: Who are we?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Music, IT and film

I've been in "high tech" for 30 years, with the last 20 as a software developer. My background, education and passion is music, but this software stuff pays the bills quite nicely. I only shoot film, using 35mm and MF, and I'm building a large format 4x5.

For me, the last thing I want to do when I've finished a 50+ hour work week is sit in front of a computer for 2 more days. I love the process of film photography, the chemistry, the science, the "organic" nature of it.

As far as bracketing is concerned, I have done some to evaluate film and camera, and to help me build an intuition about how film behaves. It is a great learning tool. I do not do it as a general rule. I do understand from some of my digital friends that these computers will bracket several partial stops on either side of the central exposure without the photographer thinking about it. I'd prefer to use my skills and take a chance on one exposure, even though I may get it wrong
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Please do not feed or tease the trolls.
    Perhaps you and QG might want to get use to other opinions, points of view. Reality is really not so bad....
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Reality is really not so bad....
    That's right.
    So stop clinging to your security blanket, throw away those crutches, and face reality head on. Dare to live. Let your skills cope with the world. And stop hiding behind "but what if..."s.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    That's right.
    So stop clinging to your security blanket, throw away those crutches, and face reality head on. Dare to live. Let your skills cope with the world. And stop hiding behind "but what if..."s.
    It seems you're still wearing those rose...ah, I mean red colored glasses. I'd suggest you put the pipe down, and get back to Jesus. For good. It shows :rolleyes:
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the division is not at all about IT, art people etc.
    Nowadays a lot of people work in "IT". Sign of the times.
    In the late nineties a lot of my friends moved to IT, which was a relative new technology (for the masses) and a somewhat more clear dinstinguisable area than it is for me now.
    At present day 2010, for me, there isn't something like a somewhat separate IT anymore like we used to now.
    Perhaps in the end, history will not acknowlegde our millennium-style classification of professions.
    I am not IT allthough I have used computers since the early eighties. I am not a professional artist either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I know about I.T. you could write on the head of a pin, neither am I an Artist, I shoot film because although I've been doing it all my adult life I still don't begin to understand it's beauty and mystery, I have no desire to start to learn another medium, and undertake the considerable outlay in time and money that would be necessary to replace my film equipment with the digital equipment of commensurate quality it would take.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm not into IT, per se, but my work involves a lot of spreadsheets, Word documents and product specifications. There's also a helluva lot of work and I'm out of the house at 6am and back no earlier than 7pm. That doesn't leave a lot of time for photography - apart from weekends - and I use both digital and analogue equipment according to whether I have a bit of time or need a quick fix...!

Like Bejiboy, I've used film for many, many years and still it surprises me how good it can be and how little I understand about the process of getting it right. Digital is much more "in your face". It's a great medium (IMO) but much colder and more clinical than film. I don't believe in soul and all that anthropomorphist mumbo-jumbo but, if I did, I would define film cameras as having it and digital cameras being robotic.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin