Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,683   Online: 749

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are we?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm an IT guy. I used to be in computer retail, which means selling digital cameras. Back then, the most important thing to me was sharpness and resolution. I knew that digital was years, if not decades away from the resolution possible with film. That got me started. I'll use digital if it is the best tool for the job, but I use film when I really care about what I'm shooting.

I also don't like to sit in front of my computer and work. I hate doing all the Photoshop and Final Cut work that photo and video post production require. I rarely even scan my film anymore. I like to do as much in the camera as possible and avoid doing anything on the computer if I can. If I'm going to sit in front of the computer for hours when I'm not working, I'd rather be playing a game or watching a movie. As much as I like photography, doing it with the computer is too much like work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love the process. Nothing beats printing in the darkroom. I consider myself an artist. Before I had my first child I was a art and music double major. I switched my major to nursing when I realized I had to make money! I love painting and making quilts. I love analogue photography. I also love old equipment. I'll never sell my 55 willys wagon or my treadle sewing machines (I don't own an electric one!) or my favorite vintage cameras. Nothing beats using equipment that is 50 years old or older that has always worked and will continue working until I'm gone if I take care of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zen Master at heart

I'm the philosophical type Too. I consider myself a Zen master. I studied art and photography in college and later became the professional photographer for eight years. Clinging to nothing, I switched to IT work because I was able to make a living at it. I do enjoy the freedom of not being creative on demand. Now I shoot for the joy of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    "IT people" here--born, trained and enroled for tax purposes

when the number of frames in my negative binders matches the number of files i had on my disks at one time or another and don't have any more, for all the good IT reasons, i'll switch... cross my heart, promise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a lawyer by vocation.

Does this mean I have to leave APUG now?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Matt
    Naaah. You can stay. Variety is good.

This thread sort of confirms my theory. There are an abundance of artistic folks and IT-folks in this community. And not all artists need to work as an artist. Some just like to make furnitures in their spare time.

Or maybe it is as someone pointed out that IT/artistic folks are just the kind of people who participate in this kind of forums.

I still think my idea about digi-cred was a good one. I know people who would not use an old camera out of fear to labelled old fashioned and out of touch. The same people who always run after the latest equipment.

r
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    im not an IT guy either.
    besides photography,i've a background in architecture, planning and historic preservation.
    i do assignment work and other stuff ... and it has nothing to do with IT ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Matt
    No. but stay away from the joke thread or you'll get your feelings hurt.

Wait, I forgot-do lawyers have feelings?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well I am a bit of both, I am an IT Guy but also and arty people, does that mean I can break boundaries?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used to be in IT but I get too easily stressed and didn't like the experience.

Am a Mac guy now, have been for several years, my Mac is about the only technologically advanced thing I own. Well, my F5 is fairly advanced I guess. People give me funny looks when I tell them I've going to add a different format shortly, they assume a digicam, when I actually mean 4x5 :-)

I shoot my images on film, and will be writing this year's Nanowrimo novel on a manual typewriter!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin