Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,826   Online: 790

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I want to take someone's photo and take my time about it, I will always ask their permission. If it's a child, I always ask the parent's permission first as, although I'm not a parent myself, I understand why many parents would not take kindly to strangers taking photos without asking first.

If it's a grab-shot in a crowded street or event (like, for example, a few I took at the London Marathon last weekend), then I just shoot - mainly because there just isn't the time for such pleasantries and it might kill shot.

I always have some cards showing my ID and website with me and hand these out to anyone who wants to know what I'm taking and where it might be seen.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry, I amlready replied but it seems my reply got lost somewhere in the network...

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    So, what you are really saying is that you are now officially one of those creepy European guys who photographs young ladies on the street......
    Yes, looks like that I'm afraid

SilverGlow : I do not ask before, so as not to ruin the shot, and I'm afraid thsi is what makes me uncomfortable.

Paul : yes, I'm more concerned when it's a kid, I'm a parent and can understand other parents being concerned about this.

At the moment I'm working on a "project in the project" as there is a new collaborative project that started in my city, where we're to build a merry-go-round with the inhabitants, and an artist as our mentor. This gives me a lot to think about (drawings for the project, planning for my shoots...) so the street shooting seems to be a bit behind these days...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rarely ask peoples permission when shooting"Street" because it spoils the spontaneity, and recently have been surprised that even when many people notice me photographing them pretend not to notice, I find it helps to use a camera that doesn't look too professional, like a small compact like an Olympus XA, XA2, Rollei 35, or Minox 35GT, and they are small enough that if your subject takes offence and sticks it "where the sun don't shine" it shouldn't be too painful .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wasn't it HCB who said “Aim well, shoot fast and scram”?

That's how I do it. Although sometimes I shoot fast and stay put…

I very rarely talk to anyone about my photography; hence, no permission is asked for (but none is needed…), whatever the subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xxloverxx View Post
    Wasn't it HCB who said “Aim well, shoot fast and scram”?

That's how I do it. Although sometimes I shoot fast and stay put…

I very rarely talk to anyone about my photography; hence, no permission is asked for (but none is needed…), whatever the subject.
    Right on !
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having a card with personal details is a good idea, which I have not considered before. Especially when a situation is "posed" on the street. I'm not always able to ask permission although doing so is a courtesy and nicely rounded off by presenting a card as I'm sometimes asked "What will you do with the picture?" although most subjects are not concerned at all and just smile bemusedly as I thank them and walk away.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    Having a card with personal details is a good idea, which I have not considered before. Especially when a situation is "posed" on the street. I'm not always able to ask permission although doing so is a courtesy and nicely rounded off by presenting a card as I'm sometimes asked "What will you do with the picture?" although most subjects are not concerned at all and just smile bemusedly as I thank them and walk away.
    Once the subject notices you and "poses" you've lost the whole point of candid photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Once the subject notices you and "poses" you've lost the whole point of candid photography.
    True, but there are occasions when it is prudent to engage the subject. Sometimes it is at the expense of the spontaneity although in my experience the person asks "what do you want me to do" and I request that they continue doing what they were or remarks "Okay, but I'm not posing for you" and carries on doing what they were anyway, or occasionally declines.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Again some interesting replies here... At the moment at least, what I like in street photography is really to get some candids, so asking the permission may kill the shot...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have to build a relationship with them you've blown it, I try not to look at them when I actually fire the shutter but hold the camera near my ear and look the other way, I do do what they teach in the military, fire and movement, shoot and scoot, as soon as I've snapped them I turn and walk the other way, I don't have any business cards or model release forms just a very small quiet none professional looking compact with a 35mm f2.8 lens that has no auto focus or auto wind on.

P.S I don't do this with children the way things are nowadays, but avoid them at all costs.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-06-2010 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin