Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,651   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Street [and transports] shooting : how do you handle the relationship afterwards

Hi gang,

I've been mainly a landscape/close-ups photographer for some years, apart from the casual family event (which I seem to never print 'cause it's so boring ).

I've taken drawing up recently (thanks to Bruce Barlow and his recommendation of "Drawing on the right side of the brain"), and practiced by drawing people in the train when I'm commuting.

I dunno if this is related, but I now feel a urge to photograph people in the streets, and the Rolleiflex seems a magic tool for this.

I did not resist the call, so I have a few pics of people, mostly young ladies (they look much better than old men ) and wondered what I should do next : should I give them a kind of business card so that they can contact me if they'd like to see the results, should I have a print with me (in many case I see the same people regularly) or should I do nothing and keep these images for myself ?

Of course, I'm not asking you what I should do, since I'm the one to make the decision, but I'd like to hear about what YOU are doing. So, how are YOU handling this ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi laurent:

whenever i photograph people i always give them
    my business card ( web address / email )
    and the next time i see them i give a print.
    i ask if it is ok for me to use as a portfolio piece
    on my website &C say "the print" is compensation / thanks.

have fun + good luck!

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I usually make the photo and move on, trying not to get noticed. But I have really been thinking of making business cards.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do both approaches: Sometimes I just snap the shot and move on, other times I'll approach somebody and ask if I can take a photo. I this case I always offer a print and give them my number. I've been turned down for my request only a couple of times surprisingly enough. In the five years I've been shooting in the streets, I've had only one or two people contact me. Street photography is really not something that is easy to pick up right away. You have to shoot over a period of time before you can figure out where your comfort zone is, what your interests in the street are etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a card but I have finally ordered some. Although I usually try to be fairly upfront with my shooting--I don't shoot from the hip, I don't pretend to be doing something else, I just shoot--it's still almost always a case of snapping some transient moment and people who are either moving away or don't want to be interrupted. I never approach people in my own city and ask to take their photo, but sometimes they ask ME, and if they seem interested in the photo I'll get their address. When traveling however, I do ask permission frequently, so I get the addresses and send the photos later. I admit to being really slow at the sending, though...have some mental block about international mailings, I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My business cards are just a word document arranged in columns and copied onto card stock. I take them home and cut them down to the right size.

I give them out to people who I do street photography with them in the image who I interact with whenI am setting up the image composition.

I tell them to email me their contact details, and that I will be pleased to get them a print once I have their contact details, which could be as simple as leave an envelope to thier attention at their usual coffee shop, ie a blind drop.

No one has ever followed up, but I do not get demonized as some perv taking photos when I approach the subject, or thier parent s if the subject is a young kid with parents at hand.

I do carry compact photo releases with me also, but must confess I have never had high enough hopes of these 'grab' photos to want to try to publish them, or incorporate them in my portfolio.

For me I think of street photography as just a vein I like to mine for my own pleasure only, knowing there is likely to never be any ore in that particular tunnel.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Laurant, if you are shooting in France I believe you have some tricky privacy laws regarding street photography, something about 'right to privacy' which may be more about the published image, but worth checking out. However it does seem nonsense as France is the home of street photography.
    A Rolleiflex is a great tool for street photography...very Doisneau.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for your replies !

Andy : yes there are some laws about this, but it should only concern published images.

I like the idea of leaving a way to contact me, as said Mike, I'd feel less clandestine.

I have developed the first films of these images, and hope to see the contacts today, it may give me some energy to pursue this.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you ask the subject if you can take their picture, you've just ruined the candid element. When shots are always posed, things get boring real fast in regard to street photography. Best not to ask....just make the picture and move on, or tell them what you did after the fact and provide them a business card should they want a print.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, what you are really saying is that you are now officially one of those creepy European guys who photographs young ladies on the street......

()
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin