Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,351   Online: 1244

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently bought a FE on ebay for $89. It worked fine except for the DOF preview and the rear door latch was a bit stiff. I sent in in for a $120 CLA/Overhaul. I now have a beautifully functioning FE, back to factory specs. While being repaired the shop also replaced the ASA selector dial which was a bit worn and sloppy. I'm happy and confident the camera will now outlast me.

I could have bought another on ebay, probably cheaper. Maybe I would have gotten a good one, maybe some more trouble. I would not have the confidence I have now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I find that I don't mind spending money for repairs on pieces that I have owned just as long if its not getting around 5x or higher than the cost of the purchase. I don't feel I am experienced enough to really weed out possible problems in a replacement camera from an online seller and I'd rather spend money with my repair guy where I know this guy does good work and guarantees his work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    I recently bought a FE on ebay for $89. It worked fine except for the DOF preview and the rear door latch was a bit stiff. I sent in in for a $120 CLA/Overhaul. I now have a beautifully functioning FE, back to factory specs. While being repaired the shop also replaced the ASA selector dial which was a bit worn and sloppy. I'm happy and confident the camera will now outlast me.

I could have bought another on ebay, probably cheaper. Maybe I would have gotten a good one, maybe some more trouble. I would not have the confidence I have now.
    I agree Lyle, I was out shooting with my recently serviced Canon EF yesterday it's like new,and can't believe it was made in 1976 it's so smooth and quiet in operation and the light meter is spot on, whatever it cost it's worth it to me in the pleasure I get every time I use it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently acquired a Canon F1-N, EF and A1 and a great selection of FD glass for a very reasonable trade + cash against a Bronica SQ-B I wasn't getting on with. I've subsequently got my mitts on a Hassy 500 c/m, a couple of lenses and an extension tube but the costs was no more than I could afford.

My take is that quality pays, it doesn't cost. But, if I hadn't got the money in my pocket or my wife needed new shoes or food, my "hobby" would go on a back-burner.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a replacement for my Pentax Super Program on eBay for $40. It was in better condition than mine was when it was working.
    I kept the original camera. If the new one stops working I will consider whether to send both cameras in for repair with instructions to use one camera as a parts donor for the other, if possible.

Right now, I would pay $100 to get one of my cameras repaired unless I can find one on eBay, et. al., which is in good condition for less money. At that point, I'll decide which cameras to use as parts donors for the other cameras, if the situation calls for it.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    I recently acquired a Canon F1-N, EF and A1 and a great selection of FD glass for a very reasonable trade + cash against a Bronica SQ-B I wasn't getting on with. I've subsequently got my mitts on a Hassy 500 c/m, a couple of lenses and an extension tube but the costs was no more than I could afford.

My take is that quality pays, it doesn't cost. But, if I hadn't got the money in my pocket or my wife needed new shoes or food, my "hobby" would go on a back-burner.
    If your newly acquired Canon cameras proved to be faulty Paul considering they are all more than twenty years old, would you have them serviced, or replace them ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can say that the few 35mm cameras I've bought I've avoided repairs on. The Canon EF was nice looking but with a stuck shutter, I paid $20 for it. Asking around it was difficult to find anyone that would work on it. Even if I could find a repairman, I would have paid probably $150, and end up with a camera body worth about half that. Same with the Voigtlander Vitessa with the sticking slow speeds. The camera commonly sells for $150.

But I'm about to bite the bullet on a Canon VI-T. I really like the body, It has potential to last another 20 years, the CLA is less than the cost of the camera, and it should keep it's value. So I don't mind getting it working again (dragging high speeds).

To me it's a matter of quality and potential.
    Last edited by goamules; 04-30-2010 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Benjiboy.

My desire to keep them would probably drive me down the route of getting them serviced / repaired, especially as they are in such good condition - and especially the F1-N as it is a camera I wanted in the early 80's when I couldn't afford one. There comes a point where the cost becomes disproportionate and, as they're only tools, I don't beat myself up about letting go. Thankfully, that seldom happens.

The chap I bought them from is a professional photographer and friend of mine who was also the previous owner / user of the F1-N. The EF and A1 were trades he took in and are, like the F1-N, in really good condition. The A1 is virtually mint cosmetically. So far, all are performing flawlessly.

My Hassy 500 c/m came from a camera shop in London from whom I've bought equipment previously and who I trust. It has a 6 month warranty but is in really nice condition inside and out, despite its age.

Wherever possible, I buy from known and reputable sources. If I buy "blind" then it's usually an accessory or something that isn't going to break the bank if it falls to bits and needs replacing. I suppose that's the key; don't spend over the odds on a pig-in-a-poke without a warranty from a stranger.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
    ..on your favorite camera?
    Too much

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If we don't repair them soon there will be none left, lets think about the film shooters of the future.

I will always repair them, I think its good to put money a side for this.

Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin