Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,445   Online: 833

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    falling down triple decker with a remnant/carpet store on the first floor,
    sitting next to a 1950s high peak gable roofed ice cream stand pizza parlor called " excellent pizza "
    the was demo'd fast and unfortunately for me i wasn't able to photograph it.
    a bank was built on half the site ( excellent pizza ) and the other half is 4 or 6 7foot high
    mounds of dirt and debris and a 7 year old for sale sign.

maybe i'll photograph the out of business / boarded up 7-11 next door, before it is demo'd
    recessions can go either way for buildings, they can be left to rot until someone has $$ to fix them up
    or they can be removed and some sort of hole or cheaply constructed building can be put in its place

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen View Post
    I was just wondering does anyone else have a story of "oh, I can come back later/tomorrow and get that shot." and then it's just plain gone? I've learned my lesson, if I see a shot take it or you may not ever get another chance.
    D.
    In May 2001, I did the 5 Boro Bike Ride (for those unfamiliar, 40 miles of NYC streets, highways and bridges are closed to cars but open to tens of thousands of cyclists - crazy, but fun). It was the first time I did that ride and the first time I'd been to the part of Queens nearest Manhattan. There was a great view across the East River and Manhattan with the WTC towering over the cityscape. Didn't have a camera with me but decided I would do the ride the following year with a camera to get that shot (I could, I suppose, have driven there but I never did that either).

Dan

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I do this far too often, but equally well let's not forget the times when we DO get it right. I have a good record of many Cornish mine buildings and sites that are either gone or have been "improved" as well as things such as Plymouth City Centre's Drake Circus before and during the redevelopment several years ago. It seems very easy to forget how things used to be (or perhaps that's a function of my age!) and a look at a few photos of "how it was" helps to jog some memories. They needn't even be photographic masterpieces - most of the battle is "getting around to it" in the first place.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I commute to work so early in the morning that I'm often in a scenic paradise that evaporates as the sun rises, the mist vanishes, and the subtle softness of early light changes to boring brilliance. Alas, I NEVER get to stop because of the time pressure I'm under to get where I'm going. I am soooooo looking forward to retirement in a few years to finally get a chance to stop and shoot in the moment, and not have to pass by in a hurry.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish I had a time machine to go back for a week's photography in the
    1960's.....I was too young then to be interested in photography, but wish now that I had good colour pictures of (amongst other things) the steam railway locomotives and other industrial subjects which were vanishing in that decade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too many to list here. One was in New Hampshire in 2003. We were on our honeymoon and thought we'd check out the 'Old Man of the Mountain'. Before we got there we heard is slid off the mountain. Bummer! Can't even trust mountains to be there.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm glad that it's not just me then! I've missed several! Recently there was a block of flats marked for demolition and all the flats had been vacated and bordered up expect for one on the ground floor which was still occupied. It had washing hanging up outside, kids toys and bikes everywhere, ornaments, etc. I kept on going past it on my way to work and i was always either in a hurry or didn't have my camera or the light was wrong. I recently went to take the shot in the right light and when i go there they had moved out and it was all boarded up

Another thing I keep doing, slightly off topic, is I'll drive past a place and think "Ohh, that'll make a great shot" and I'll think about it for a week or two until I can get back there with camera in hand time to shoot and it'll be nothing like the amazing vista my mind had built up over the previous weeks of thinking about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I must have passed it a hundred times and said get a picture. When I went it was to late. A big red dump truck fill with dirt and all kinds of plants. What a plant pot.

A mobile home setting on a lot with two huge smoke stacks on top. Really the angle at which it was setting cover up the plant behind it. Looked great, this one I wish I had my camera. Since that day I carry my Olympus XA with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I last visited the US during in August 1982, shortly after the Falklands War, armed with my trusty Olympus OM20, I tried (for the second time in 8 years) to go up the Empire State Building, but yet again it was closed. I ended up going on a tour of the Twin Towers at an unearthly hour of the morning (for a tourist!) and having breakfast aloft (I was terrified of heights in those days so avoided being in close proximity to the windows). I regret not taking any interior photographs or of New York's cityscape from above.

I also served, briefly, aboard HMS Chrysanthemum moored in London and when we were relocated to the shiny new (shore) base, HMS President, we were expecting our old ship to be taken to Chatham for conversion to a museum.... however instead she has been left to rot at Chatham. I regret not photographing her interior. Her classrooms (where I learned seamanship & navigational theory) were like classrooms in 1920s English schools!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can think of a few things that disappeared before I got to photograph them, and I wanted to, I just waited too long (one that is really annoying is a painted wall sign that appeared when one building was torn down, and then was covered up again by the new construction). On the other hand, I've got plenty of photos of things that are gone (and some of things that I am surprised are still standing!). Obviously, over enough time, most things eventually will be gone, but I have shot scenes because I knew they were doomed in the short term.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin