Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1210

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ever miss a shot because it no longer exists?

I was going into day job yesterday and they were doing some landscaping to the office building. They took out two trees and some shrubs to make way for who knows what. Luckily I had just taken a shot that I wanted to for a while a few weeks ago of those trees and shrubs that are now history. I thought "wow, good thing I didn't wait any longer to get that shot". You can see the image and some comments on my blog.

I was just wondering does anyone else have a story of "oh, I can come back later/tomorrow and get that shot." and then it's just plain gone? I've learned my lesson, if I see a shot take it or you may not ever get another chance.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are a couple of places here in Victoria on the Great Ocean Road where that happens all the time. One cliff/rock feature called "London Bridge" collapsed some years ago, when two unfortunate people were across the wrong side of the bridge at the time (they were rescued). A very popular attraction called "The Twelve Apostles" which are basically rock pillars in the ocean, changes all the time when the rocks basically wash away. This happened several years ago to one of the more photogenic tear-drop shaped rocks. Thankfully I have many shots taken before that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Absolutely, this happens to me alot with my rustic architecture and industrial photography. You drive by and old structure frequently and say to yourself 'I'm gonna photograph that someday' then before you know it it's no longer there or it's an apartment complex. Its amazing how long things can be one way, then suddenly they're gone.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    all the time. I am just so angry that in the County of Sonoma (CA), they decided that having stumps next to the road was far more scenic than the beautiful trees that overlapped and caressed each other from across the road... the road is not being widened.. just the trees must have been in the way of seeing yet another vineyard. I am sad...
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just missed one the other day. There was an very old barn that was torn down just recently. I kept putting it off, so it was my fault.

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There are some amazing (yes, unfortunately due to a war) derelict buildings in Monrovia, Liberia - 4x5 color and 8x10 black and white please - return trip fell through earlier this year...

I'd be a right asshole to moan about progress in the absence of my camera in this particular case
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many.
    Usually old shops and buildings that are closed, demolished, changed or modernized not long after I started procrastinating on shooting them.
    Or usual characters you see on the street almost every day that somehow disappear.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a disused black smith shop about 10 miles from my house. For many many years there was a huge pile of rusting horse shoes that had been piled up against a tree. The tree had sort of grown into then, making a weird rusty/organic sculpture about 10 feet high...
    It was difficult to park and the weather was never right and the sun was always in the wrong place...

Then some travellers spotted it...lots of free scrap metal...
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After years of good intentions and often resting in its shade I photographed the "Mukorob" (Finger of God) - a rock pinnacle produced by weathering - in Namibia, shortly before it collapsed on December, 4th 1988, just prior to Namibian independence. It fell as a result of an earth tremor, although an old Nama legend goes that the Rule of the "White Man" will come to an end if this Rock falls.
    Last edited by Bateleur; 05-06-2010 at 06:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: description
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I have missed lots of great photos, either the light was wrong,in too much of a hurry,Missed a great shot the other day of some Jersey cows,misty field,just a hint of something in the sky,and, unusually, they still had horns, Difficult to park so thought I'D come back in an hour, came back, still nice light,mist, hint of something in the sky but no Jersey cows, Now if I see a photo I stop and take it, and then if things improve but the shot is gone at least I have something,Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin