Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,293   Posts: 1,535,465   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm actually quite glad that the US Banking system is so backward that there is no effective system of direct deposit that you find here in Australia or in Europe. If there was then people would stop using PayPal and it would become very difficult for me to buy things from the US. I don't mind paying the extra 3%, but then it is usually dwarfed by the postage cost. Compared to rustling up some sort of Postal Orders or other archaic form of payment (which usually costs me a lot more to purchase as well) I'm happy to call 3% a convenience fee, along with the extra 2% found in their exchange rates.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I refuse to pay for anything with money orders. It's not worth the time spent in a New York bank or post office line.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    personally, I like paypal. It offers a sense of "security" for both the buyer and the seller. Getting money for a sale RIGHT NOW is a nice thing, especially if you're watching something YOU WANT, and don't have all the cash in hand yet.

paypal "gift": personally, I think that Paypal couldn't give a rip on those of us who ask that a payment be sent as a "gift", as I do generally. Now, if you're doing $1k a week, then it might perk their computer dog's ears up to listen/watch your transactions.... It also saves the fees from both parties(that I know of), and it still allows you an instant transaction(besides waiting to transfer the money out of your account to your bank account after receipt of the sale's funds)

but I still accept P.M.O's, or cash in the mail, or personal checks(if we've done transactions before, but I still wait a week for them to clear fully before shipping).

I don't own stock in Paypal, but to me, saving time means saving money, for both parties. Since I am a college student, I don't have much time anyhow, even less money, so getting paid quickly is a big + for me most of the time vs. using money orders, checks, or bank checks,etc...

to each their own IMO

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    personally, I like paypal. It offers a sense of "security" for both the buyer and the seller. Getting money for a sale RIGHT NOW is a nice thing, especially if you're watching something YOU WANT, and don't have all the cash in hand yet.

paypal "gift": personally, I think that Paypal couldn't give a rip on those of us who ask that a payment be sent as a "gift", as I do generally. Now, if you're doing $1k a week, then it might perk their computer dog's ears up to listen/watch your transactions.... It also saves the fees from both parties(that I know of), and it still allows you an instant transaction(besides waiting to transfer the money out of your account to your bank account after receipt of the sale's funds)

but I still accept P.M.O's, or cash in the mail, or personal checks(if we've done transactions before, but I still wait a week for them to clear fully before shipping).

I don't own stock in Paypal, but to me, saving time means saving money, for both parties. Since I am a college student, I don't have much time anyhow, even less money, so getting paid quickly is a big + for me most of the time vs. using money orders, checks, or bank checks,etc...

to each their own IMO

-Dan
    The problem with accepting payment as gift is you as a seller do not have any protection from a bad deal.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I should think that the buyer would be more at risk. A gift is just that. How would one claim a refund?

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i refuse to pay anyone as a "gift" using paypal.
    just like i refuse to put "gift" or "broken ... " on a customs form.
    if the seller ( or buyer ) can't afford the 3% + 30¢ paypal fees,
    or not having someone break the law on a federal customs form
    they aren't worth doing business with.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Paypal rules clearly say that sellers cannot charge buyers extra for using paypal. So, sellers who demand the buyer pay their paypal fee are breaking the rules...that's the same as dishonest. Why would I buy from a seller who is dishonest. False use of the gift thing is the same...dishonest....lying...cheating. Sellers: If you don't want to pay the fee, if you don't like the rules...do not offer paypal. Your cheating screws all of the rest of us who try to play by the rules. Actions have consequences.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've bought items from people here and on Craigslist using Paypal, money orders, personal checks, a google payment service and cash.

Personally, I prefer to buy with Paypal. It means that the seller can instantly see the money - less potential for miscommunication or uncertainty. On one of my biggest film purchases, the seller actually called me from the post office with a total cost, waited 5 minutes for me to paypal him the amount, verified it and shipped the goods. Very efficient transaction (other than me getting up at 5:30 in the morning to take his call and send the money - lousy time zone differences. )

In the end though, I'm open to whatever option the seller prefers. If it seems shady, we walk away - no harm done other than some wasted time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I refuse to pay for anything with money orders. It's not worth the time spent in a New York bank or post office line.
    What's particularly horrible about a New York post office?

Postal orders are my favourite method of payment as unlike a cheque*, the seller does not have to wait for it to clear before posting. It's as good as sending cash without the risks.

(* sorry, I had to spell that correctly!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What's particularly horrible about a New York post office?

Postal orders are my favourite method of payment as unlike a cheque*, the seller does not have to wait for it to clear before posting. It's as good as sending cash without the risks.

(* sorry, I had to spell that correctly!).

Steve.
    You live in the UK and have no idea about standing in line for up to an hour waiting for the ranting lunatic or clueless dimwit in front of you that cant make up their mind or is only asking a question (that ends up being many)or has a badly wrapped package that they insist will pass, or for whatever reason. I live in a small town, and I've never waited more than a few minutes for service. I used to live in a large city(not NYC) and have experienced the lines.
    My experiences with PP have been less than stellar in the past, that taints my current view of them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin