Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,277   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ethics and Paypal

With PP being the bank of Ebait and all that. I find a couple of things to complain(whine) about.
    #1 is being asked to add PP fees to a purchase price. It's the seller's right to do this I know. In the day before PP became popular if you shopped at a retail store of even on the interweb and you bought something. The seller didn't ask you to add 3% to cover his banks fees to use a credit card. It was part of the cost of doing business. Now that everyone's a business they don't want to sacrifice that 3 cents/dollar. It's so very important to them.

#2 Even if PP is a corporate giant does that make it ethically right to not pay them the fees they deserve? As in send the money as a gift to bypass fees.

Just bothers me to be asked or to even have it suggested it's like the wink, wink, nudge, nudge way of doing business.
    It just seems wrong.
    I guess I'll have to mow the mayor's lawn now. Wink, wink.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe it is contrary to the PayPal terms of use to ask a buyer to pay the PayPal fee. If the fee bothers you as a seller, raise your price 3% accordingly and let PayPal take their chunk, or do the sneaky and inflate your shipping/handling to cover it. I usually agree to pay the fee (or split the fee) if the seller is otherwise a nice person and easy to deal with or they've got something I REALLY want and can't walk away from (some exotic antique lens I'd have to wait four years to find again), but I do find it galling when someone expects that I pay the fee as a matter of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    Some forums prohibit adding PP fees to a deal when conducting sales among members! You gotta like some of those off-bay deals.
    "I have no idea how to respond to the OP, so in the time honored tradition, I'm going to wade in, anyway!"

Shooter
    35mm
    >Now that everyone's a business they don't want to sacrifice that 3 cents/dollar. It's so very important to them.

Well, it seems it's important to you as well. I Argentina, they will charge you more money if you want to pay with a credit card in the store. Some gas stations will charge you more if you want to pay with a card.

What I do find particularly annoying about eBay is that they banned the use of checks or money orders, so you either become a CC merchant or go along with PayPal.
    Sorin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Frugal Sorin Blog - Last article : light proof material (for darkroom, changing bag, focusing cloth,etc)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the old days your local merchant would offer a discounted cash price for items. This was very prevalent at gas stations.

As far as sellers cheating the 3% fee, well I am just glad to have PP around and am more then willing to pay for the service. They have bailed me out of two bad transactions over the years and those two alone make up for the small fee. Not to mention there are a lot of buyers who will only buy if you offer to accept PP.

It just works for me,
    -Harry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to use PP then cover the fees, or do like me, I pay with cash or money order. I see it as a convenience for those with no patience and want things immediatly, and lets face it, most people want their money NOW. I've lost out on some deals because of PP (my resistance to it) and that sense of urgency on the sellers part. Of course, it works both ways, with buyers seeing it as a way of speeding up a transaction. All I can say is if you are that anxious then be willing to pay for it.

As for the cheating, it is just that, cheating. PP will see it for what it is, and up the price of doing business to cover the loss, then more people will need to cheat, causing another hike in fees. It will continue, and people will gripe, and they have only themselves to blame for creating the situation. PP is a banking firm, and needs income to provide services. You want the service, then pay for it and dont complain.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As a buyer, the only thing that matters to me is the delivered price including shipping and any other fees. A seller can add a finder's fee for his mother-in-law for all I care. If the price is good, I'm not going to raise an issue if the fee is split out. However, I do love sellers that advertise the price as "$XXX.XX shipped"--it make things easy on the brain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I deal with a seller south of the boarder or world wide for that matter, I ONLY use PP. That is basically the only protection that I have for unscrupulous sellers. Paying with CC is the same. Not saying APUG sellers are bad it is protection from delivery problems etc. And anyone that does sell and ship an item has the paper work to prove it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i dont like sellers asking for their fees to be paid
    build it into the asking price if anything

but then again i "don't know how things are customarily done"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    eBay doesn't allow charging extra for PayPal fees, and in any case, by accepting PayPal, which is now required on eBay (you can accept other forms of payment, but you can't advertise it), you attract more bidders, so you get a higher price, which is usually greater than the fee.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin