Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,244   Online: 725

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i borrow in both cases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    Minor White spoke of beginners "collecting images" and, after developing their skills and vision, being more able to allow images to FIND THEM. "Taking" is the essence of collecting. If the image finds the photographer, who is the "maker"?
    I like that. To me a picture is a relationship between the subject matter and the photographer. Nobody takes or makes, it is there already, waiting for someone to see it.
    The 'taking' is from our own life experience, and interpretation of what's in front of us. What you see, and subsequently what you show via your process, is what charges the photograph to become meaningful.
    To me this is true even with studio photographs that are arranged.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try to avoid thinking too deeply about it and navel gazing, I just get out and do it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    For starters, I tend not to label what I do, for I think that can contribute to unintended consequences. That said, I'll wade in. It is my belief that intent informs such a thing. If I have a camera and I am simply recording instances in time, using basic correct exposures, intending normal processing and printing, generally by someone else, then I feel like I'm taking pictures. Although I may contribute to the making in various ways-composition-DOF- etc. I am still following a basic "factory" premise. There is nothing to stop these pictures from being art or anything else, and I have taken some very nice pictures, but they tend to be nice in that HCB Decisive Moment kind of way, which is in many ways the strength of not being bogged down by equipment and technical details. Many LF types don't understand this.

When I shoot deliberately, with at least some pre-visualization, run my exposures for + or - development, and basically tweak every step of the way, dodge, burn, split print and in other ways "author" the print, which generally won't bear much resemblance to a snap of the same thing taken at the same time, then I feel I'm making pictures. Many RF street shooters don't understand this.

There are degrees in-between.

The main thing Is I'm just happy to be shooting. As ManRay captioned-

Equipment: The camera was faithfully used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ben, that's definitely my approach as well. When I photograph or print I don't intellectualize at all. I just use my instinct, feel, and do.

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I try to avoid thinking too deeply about it and navel gazing, I just get out and do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post

I like that quote a lot, Jason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I usually dont think about "taking" or "making"; I just "do." Shooting a snapshot of a family vacation and shooting a vast landscape are the same for me. Of course, i'll do a bit more metering in the landscape to make sure I get the exposure right; I'll probably just use the sunny 16 rule or use the in-camera meter (responsibly) for the family snapshot. If you want to call shooting the landscape "making" because I take the time to get the exposure perfect and call the family snapshot "taking" because it's quick and dirty and imperfect, that's fine with me. I just prefer not to think about it.

Over the last few months, my focus has been on black and white slides. They look really good projected at school, but I dont have much room to project at the house. I have one of those little screens that attach to the projector in front of the lens, so my projections are small. Just for the hell of it, I've been wanting to project the slides on a canvas, trace the outline, and paint it. Since I cant afford a scanner or Ilfochrome printing, that might be the only way to get "prints" from my slides. That would give me the creative freedom to give color to my black and white slides and distort the colors of my color slides (without affecting the original slides).

If I make a painting from slides, the "take" and "make" terminology gets a bit more skewed. Am I "Taking" a photograph and "making" a painting or am I "making" photograph and "taking" the painting from it? It might be a while before I get around to doing that (if I do at all), so I guess that would be a hypothetical question. Either way, I'm sure people that paint without using slides would call me a cheater
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jason, I agree with you, and I believe we were typing our posts at the same time. For some reason, it just took me like 10 minutes longer to post what you said better than I did. Maybe I'll just let you speak for me next time one of these philosophical questions comes up
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post

I remember that quote, I think, but it seems to me that the source was Minor White quoted by Ansel Adams in one of older editions of Basic Photo series.

Just went out to the library and looked it up. The quotes differ slightly, so it's possible both said something similar. It's on page 88 of Book 5, the one on artificial light, in the 1956 edition. In the caption of a theatrical photograph by MW, "for data-- the camera was faithfully used".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If I could just figure out whether I am making or taking and whether it is art or craft, I am sure I would be a better photographer/artist. Assuming I have the best camera.
    Dennis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin