Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,163   Online: 690

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I think Gropius has a point.

Take human emotion and imagination, add craft, and you've got art.

Indeed, if you agree that all humans have emotion and imagination, then, all we need is craft to express ourselves and be artists! Everyone of us can be an artist as long as we are capable of turning our creative thoughts into a piece of art, and all we need to do that is to understand the mechanics of turning imagination into product. Craft does that!

The most creative thought, without craft, will be nothing but an unheard attempt of self-expression.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My vision of art is to express the innate God-given talent through the panoply of life moments in visual form that enrich our lives and nourish our souls amidst a damaged world.
    "Creating" photographic art therefore, is a necessary therapy.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have no desire to get to the bottom of what drives me in my art.
    I am content to be inspired, translate what I experience and present it to the world. Let them who witness the result decide.
    But I think I have found the meaning of life though. Finding art in the everyday enables an existence enmasse. Quality becomes important rather than quantity.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    The most creative thought, without craft, will be nothing but an unheard attempt of self-expression.
    But how much craft, Ralph? How much?

Most drunks are capable of letting very many people know how they feel about the world, just by shouting, preferably all through the night.
    Veritable, highly skilled craftsmen?

I'll repeat myself: craft is only needed as far as it is needed.
    And that may not be much.

The level of "creativity" (or whatever you like to call what makes up the essence of art) and the level of skill in a craft needed to succesfully express that "creativity" are by no means one and the same thing.
    The one deos not even have to match the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Skill is needed to a degree that allows to produce something that does what it is supposed to do.
    If it requires no skill at all, that's perfectly fine.
    But how much craft, Ralph? How much? ...
    You answered your own question in a previous post, but went too far by including 'no skill at all'. No skill, no art.

However, I agree with your revised statement:

... craft is only needed as far as it is needed.
    And that may not be much.
    I don't care how much, as long as we agree that they are inseparable.
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 05-25-2010 at 02:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    god-given?

:-)

craft? what was the craft needed to make the duchamp fountain, one of the most intriguing piece of art in the 20th century?, what was the craft needed to make nan goldin snapshots? please do not confuse quality with art, manufacture with art!

without doubt i believe in a immaculate technique (pointed although) with delicate and working hands, but art is irreverency and strenght not just:well done.

i believe in work and effort and time but many beautiful works of art have just a bit!

i see so much good photographs that have so little of that craft and they blow me away (maybe not in the way that barthes described, but maybe close!)

please do not generalize, art does the inverse, the universal cience of the unique individual
    vive la resistance!

noumin

Take human emotion and imagination, add craft, and you've got art.
    Take human emotion and imagination, add craft, and you've got human emotion, imagination and craft.
    Take human human emotion, imagination, craft, add marketing and you have art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noumin View Post
    Take human emotion and imagination, add craft, and you've got human emotion, imagination and craft.
    Take human human emotion, imagination, craft, add marketing and you have art.
    I often share your frustration.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You answered your own question in a previous post, but went too far by including 'no skill at all'. No skill, no art.

However, I agree with your revised statement:

I don't care how much, as long as we agree that they are inseparable.
    Well... no skill at all is an amount of skill. (that's really lame, isn't it? Sorry!)

Anyway. Everything we do requires skill. So everything we do and skill are inseparable.

But that's not the point.
    Skill is not the differentia specifica.
    If art requires no more skill in particular than, say, writing a letter, it would be hard to say that skill is a defining attribute of art, without also having to conclude that writing a letter is art.

And creating art does indeed not require more skill in particular.

The amount of skill needed depends on what the artist wants to make what medium do what exactly. And that amount may be even less than required for tieing your shoe laces. And conversely, things we would not call art may require tremendous amounts of skill.

But that's all about amount.
    Perhaps there is a specific skill that, no matter in what amount, is required to create art. Maybe the difference is not in the amount, but in the sort of skill.

But is it? Is there a specific skill that could be the thing that makes or breaks (by absence) art?
    And is that then still anywhere near what you meant?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... And is that then still anywhere near what you meant?
    To answer that, I opened up a new thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/7...ml#post1002189
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin