Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,517   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I think it entirely possible to have accidental art, to be an accidental artist.
    If you say something important, something people take to their hearts, and that changes things, is it less important when it was said accidentally than if it had been said deliberately?

No, it is absolutely not less important. It can come almost subconsciously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    Do you seriously make photographs for other people?...I do it to keep breathing.

I don't mind if other people like how my breath smells
    Well said.
    I only make photographs(and other forms) to satisfy MY soul. If others find it pleasing, thats incidental.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art is as important in our lives as human beings as food is. It's been our inclination to make art since the first drawings on the side of the cave. It's vital... everyone needs it, whether they make it, view it, listen to it, or consume it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Absolutely.

I think the OP's question is much the same as asking who, with so much that has been said already, still needs to hear someone talk.
    Or indeed, with so much food having been consumed already, who would still need to have some.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Art serves two main purposes in present societies:
    - Propaganda
    - Entertainment
    There is also the third
    - Collectible product
    but that's only for the very few and mostly combines the two other main purposes.

As for higher purposes of human experience, feeling and thoughts, the spiritual advancement of humanity and so on, these are so rare occurrences that tend to be almost insignificant. Science, philosophy, art, are the only ways for humanity to advance and have a purpose for existence other than mere instinctual survival, but that's not when humans are mere resources.

I, personally, (to emphasize) have been doing what I am doing to explore life's wonders, connect with them and free my eternal demons, but I make no plans for survival or have any delusions of reaching greatness any more. So, I do what I do to make what life of my life is left. If I find that rare someone that appreciates my work, that's a surprising bonus.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Who needs photographic art today, fine-art painting, sculpture, poetry, etc.? I mean new pieces of art. Who other than the artists themselves?
    And at what price?
    The artists need it the most, that is clear.

What prices are doing these days... well, I think it's a good idea to prepare for when people eventually do want to spend again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    I do it to keep breathing.
    Absolutely! And not to keep eating
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Who needs photographic art today, fine-art painting, sculpture, poetry, etc.? I mean new pieces of art. Who other than the artists themselves?
    And at what price?
    Every magazine editor, book publisher, art director, advertiser, gallery owner, art lover & collector, reader, web surfer, museum goer, thinker, and the list goes on - all these NEED fine art. It's everywhere, and to the point that we often miss it. But very creative people are working hard everyday making just about everything you see in our communication saturated world.

But maybe you mean something framed and put on a wall, that's "expressing" some esoteric, intangible yet profound secret, with a price tag under it? People need those too - and they pay good money for them.

Who buys art? Lots of people do. Every time you see a gallery do some math, and start by wondering how that business survives paying prime retail rent while keeping a mostly empty space. If it's there longer than a year or two, or if it's there for years, it's because people buy art.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It depends.

I'm lucky. I can make a choice. Some are struggling just to have basic things to live.
    Bill Clark

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I think it entirely possible to have accidental art, to be an accidental artist.
    If you say something important, something people take to their hearts, and that changes things, is it less important when it was said accidentally than if it had been said deliberately?
    You might as well tie a paint brush to a donkey's tale then. If accidental counts, the poor animal will create art eventually.

Not every good picture is automatically art.

I'm not saying that an artist cannot have a lucky moment, but he or she will no doubt learn from the experience, and from that point on, it will becomes part of the artist's conscious effort to create art.

I would think that producing art is preceded by visualization.

Serendipity can be an initiator for art, but it isn't art by itself.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    ...I only make photographs(and other forms) to satisfy MY soul. If others find it pleasing, thats incidental.
    I'm not sure how long that lasts. An artist thrives on the appreciation of others. Visual and performing art are perfect examples of that.

If the appreciation of others is missing, self-appreciation can replace it for a while, but eventually, frustration and self-doubt takes over and the artist gives up, unless they are a true genius and totally misunderstood by the worlds around them.

This might be at the root of the OP's question, in which case I can only say:
    Keep going, and make sure you know what you're doing it for (I hope it's not money or global fame).

Photography can also 'just' be a nice hobby. It doesn't have to be art, does it?
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 05-22-2010 at 08:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin