Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,085   Online: 986

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Who needs art today?

Who needs photographic art today, fine-art painting, sculpture, poetry, etc.? I mean new pieces of art. Who other than the artists themselves?
    And at what price?
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    See, that's the thing. True art is self serving. It has to be if it serves its purpose. Art needs to be the extenion of the participant. Otherwise it becomes people pleasing.

It takes a truly brave soul to express themselves and it takes a dedicated craftsman to learn how to do so with facility.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Would love to see two pieces of art made for every bullet manufactured. HA!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without art, life is flavor less and gray. Why do we cook for flavor? Why do we need new experiences? Good art isn't just pretty or self serving, but challenging. After experiencing good art, we come back to our lives with a new perspective about the world we live in. Well that's my 2 cents worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I understand the question and the sentiments behind what it took to ask it. I feel the same too many times, but I still do this stuff. Why is that? Must be love. It can't be because I'm smart. Who would dump their entire life effort into anything, blindly, and due to GAS never has money to do anything like grown up people do? I've always followed my passions. I think it is important to do so, even if nobody truly appreciates your work. You know they never will quite have the same feeling as you. Not that that is negative, it could be positive too. I get funny with my work. I print something.. I'm in optical love with it. My eyes are licking the print all over. I'm lusting it actually. Then, the wind shifts and I hate it. I don't want to see it ever again. It was "so yesterday". I'm "past that now". Whatever the excuse du jour, these are negative traits of a perfectionist who's in an endless pursuit of greatness. Nothing compares to the goal lines in one's mind. Ever.

But on the other hand, all that stuff I said could be thrown out the window by a profit minded capitalist with a lucky camera. In fact I see a successful photographer selling prints right now that look like dog sh*t. <cough> Ultimately we feed ourselves with the food we buy using money that we slave to get from hired slaves who toil under the sun for us, and where the rubber meats the road we realize we too have to participate in that madness and thats when we start asking questions, philosophical questions, as if the whole world went along some path we never got and we are behind the times struggling to understand. Obvious answers to [the] dilettantes who regurgitate mantras of the day, but we must persist this query until the grave, perhaps.
    Last edited by Perry Way; 05-22-2010 at 01:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing [the]
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Who needs photographic art today, fine-art painting, sculpture, poetry, etc.? I mean new pieces of art. Who other than the artists themselves?
    And at what price?

Do you seriously make photographs for other people?...I do it to keep breathing.

I don't mind if other people like how my breath smells
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    35mm
    Art is happily incidental to some of my photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most great art is created to inspire the artist. Others who view it are free to either like or dislike it.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Art is happily incidental to some of my photography.
    I have some of these too, but I consider them serendipity, not art. Art is a conscious process, not a lucky incident. Both can make good photographs, but there is a difference.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it entirely possible to have accidental art, to be an accidental artist.
    If you say something important, something people take to their hearts, and that changes things, is it less important when it was said accidentally than if it had been said deliberately?

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin