Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,019   Online: 814

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The word "art" is different to me depending on what, where and when we are discussing.

I like to make pictures that shows the world as a beautiful place, especially those of people and how they interact with each other. Capturing the happy emotions is an important part, as well as the utilization of lighting, posing, background technicals and the relationship the photographer has with s(he's) subjects.

There are folks who depict the world as a mean, cruel, unforgiving and chaotic place; those ingredients exist, but, in my mind, too much effort is placed on those qualities, especially in the news media and not enough of the beauty of people in the world. Brian Williams does have a piece called, "Making A Difference," that, to me, has artistic qualities. Therefore, I believe, art elevates humanity, projecting what could be rather than the destructiveness that can be inflicted on the other.

Can you tell I'm a romantic?

Making beautiful pictures of people can be challenging. I'm constantly working on how I can portray people in a beautiful way. To me, when that is accomplished, that's art. I find that most of the rest of the photographs are snapshots, with luck providing an art/wow photograph every so often.
    Bill Clark

mdm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Art is something created that is still treasured long after the death of the artist. The Sistine Chapel, Hamlet, a Rembrant. The work of very few photographers will last longer than 50 years, let alone 500. If you think you are an artist, you are not dead enough to actually be one. If you think you are an artist, what you really are is a wanker. It is very simple. Art survives for a very long time, it is not thrown in the trash when people move house, it passes from one generation to another, over and over again. Sometimes, in times of war it is destroyed and the ruins are still treasured.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have no idea what art is, but it is all around us ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm
    Conditioning? Food for thought.[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7Ge7Sogrk[/YOUTUBE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Part of the problem for me has to do with 'craft' or 'craftsmanship'. If art and craft are one in the same, and I personally don't think they are identical, then craft, which is repeatable results = art, which I disagree with to some extent. Yet, when I was welding every day for work, I saw art in the craft or skill applied to make the end product. Sometimes that end product was another persons idea, but how to implement that was mine. Other times, I had to modify the design with an engineers ok because there was no practical method to make what the idea was. Yet, the flexible thinking needed to make a vertical-up weld that looked continuous, without interruption, was as much 'art' as anything I have seen before. So, the subjective aspect cannot be escaped. Other times, I think art is a political term of universities and salesmanship - not that those are not creative, but a kid playing with the mess in his pants is being creative, though not artistic.

So, bottom line for me is, art is what I like. If I don't like it, no amount of hot air is going to convince me that it is art; pain and suffering included or not.
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    If you think you are an artist, you are not dead enough to actually be one. If you think you are an artist, what you really are is a wanker.

David
    This made me laugh for a whole minute, at least.

I have to disagree with it, though. I know a few people that I would call artists, and they're still alive. I dont recall them calling themselves artists, though, and that might be the difference
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Art besides religion, myth and science is a different legitimate outlook on the world.
    From there it derives that it can (or must?) be ugly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I feel like there should be a group bottle of vaseline in here

if you use a word it has to have meaning
    there isn't anyone that uses the word art that you could ask to leave
    describe and define are a bit different

you can describe what love looks and feels like
    you can give a definition for the word love
    but you can't define love as in say why it is..can you?
    it may not be

the only question that is significant to ask imo is does art exist/love exist etc or do we make it up socially

I think animals are creative just as we were
    we just have more time on our hands today and so what art is has changed
    now it's just paintings and whatnot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    piero manzoni has a message you guys
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When we speak of "Art", aren't we simply asking people to look at something with an eye to its aesthetic qualities? The Dadaists, and then the Pop artists, for all their bull, made the point that the difference between a urinal (or a Brillo box) as a functional object and "Art" was simply the way we looked at it. Putting something in a gallery, lighting it, speaking of it as art, makes it art. (notice: no capital "A")

Doesn't make it good art, but it does make it art.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin